Question Can't get any game above 100fps

Apr 18, 2023
Recently I got a bsod (error code: Reference by pointer) while trying to launch a game (MTA San Andreas). Since then my frames cap out at 100 in any game (tried ingame fps counter, MSI afterburner and rivatuner too) while having more then enough requirements to reach higher numbers (which i previously achieved). It is probably some driver malfunction because I reinstalled all my graphics drivers (using Display Driver Uninstaller and NVCleanstall) and I was finally able to get my FPS above that 100 limit but my misery didn't just end here. Only after 2 hours (no restart or anything) my FPS was capping out at 100. If you had any simular issues please let me know.

My spec:
Ryzen 5 5600X
RTX 3060
16GB
ASUS B550M-PLUS

Apr 18, 2023
brand and model of the psu?
what the ssd? how full it is?

cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
ram/ssd usage?
psu is seasonic focus gm-650
ssd is WD Blue SN570 (67% full)
CPU temps average out at 60-75°C on higher end games
GPU is 70-80°C
I dont know the ram/ssd usage but I usually never use more than 12GB of ram

if you're online ,
first and foremost your FPS is dependent First on your ping / latency .
then on your GPu
and the last on your cpu
so it matters if you're playing from south africa or germany or the united states or canada .
This is patently false. FPS in a game comes down to so many factors. If your answer was in reverse it would be much closer to correct. If we ignore any game engine constraints the first speed governor on FPS is always the CPU, followed closely by the GPU, and then random various other constraints on those parts and their subsystems like VRM and their temperatures, and RAM capacity and speed.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is something to be said for internet speed and latency in regard to an online game. It doesn't really matter how capable your system is if it isn't getting the proper information to interact with the game engine (online, as it were) in a timely manner. It can present in a lot of different ways. Lag, latency, poor graphics, slow....it definitely has an impact.

There is something to be said for internet speed and latency in regard to an online game. It doesn't really matter how capable your system is if it isn't getting the proper information to interact with the game engine (online, as it were) in a timely manner. It can present in a lot of different ways. Lag, latency, poor graphics, slow....it definitely has an impact.
While true, would you list this as the PRIMARY concern as to low or limited FPS in a gaming environment, or would you place it somewhere else down the stack?

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
While true, would you list this as the PRIMARY concern as to low or limited FPS in a gaming environment, or would you place it somewhere else down the stack?
i wouldn't place it down the stack ...
why ?
personal experience !
when i play mw2 with gulf kids from UAE my ping is 60 and my latency is 130+
when i play with america or europe my FPS is always around 70 something
and i've only got an 5700xt nothing more .

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
it could differ from game to game whether it's call of duty which is modestly GPU intensive
or assassin wild hunt valhalla , and open world game you would play offline , but
if it's multiplayer and you're not matching a pentium gold with an rtx 4090
then it's your latency , . . . .

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

For an online experience, I would place it pretty high. IF you have crappy internet and trying to play a game based in an online experience it really doesn't matter how nice the CPU and graphics cards are if they aren't getting the information to render or react quickly enough.

Obviously, when talking about a local only game that goes out the window.

As a "for instance" I stayed with my mom during a recovery last year. Took my laptop and had loaded a few VERY sundry titles to Steam and her internet is so bad it wouldn't even load. I would say it was top spot for issues in that situation.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
Latency and Ping are generally refered to as the same thing. What are you trying to say here? I have 10k+ hours playing online games and have never had it affect my FPS in such a way.
maybe you always play with the kids around you in USA and you don't notice ?
like i told you in mw2 it matters how good your latency is , it Does affect your FPS compleely sir.

For an online experience, I would place it pretty high. IF you have crappy internet and trying to play a game based in an online experience it really doesn't matter how nice the CPU and graphics cards are if they aren't getting the information to render or react quickly enough.

Obviously, when talking about a local only game that goes out the window.
Yes, but we are talking specifically about factors that influence FPS. Usually if you have latency issues you can experience rubber banding, characters all running in place, and other such phenomenon, but your FPS will stay very similar because all of that is done locally for the most part.

Apr 18, 2023
No matter the game, be it valorant, LoL, minecraft, unturned, rdr2, gta5 etc. my fps caps out at 100
it could differ from game to game whether it's call of duty which is modestly GPU intensive
or assassin wild hunt valhalla , and open world game you would play offline , but
if it's multiplayer and you're not matching a pentium gold with an rtx 4090
then it's your latency , . . . .

psu is seasonic focus gm-650
ssd is WD Blue SN570 (67% full)
CPU temps average out at 60-75°C on higher end games
GPU is 70-80°C
I dont know the ram/ssd usage but I usually never use more than 12GB of ram
How aabout this, we ask the OP what his latency is while playing his game.
Hello OP what ping do you have while gaming? Do you get packet loss? Have you tried running any benchmarks on the computer to test if this issue is limited to this one game?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, but we are talking specifically about factors that influence FPS. Usually if you have latency issues you can experience rubber banding, characters all running in place, and other such phenomenon, but your FPS will stay very similar because all of that is done locally for the most part.

I am not personally familiar with the game, and have no idea how much of it might be stored locally or coming from the data stream. With that said, it would seem to me like having a game engine that could adjust FPS as a direct result of receiving that data, or not, would be an excellent design to meet various needs. IDK if that is the case here, or if even that is truly a thing.

I certainly would not put myself in a position to say you are wrong as you obviously have a great deal of experience with it against myself. More from a thinking out loud perspective. In this, I would defer to your experience and appreciate your comments.

Here are my specs , dude , i'd be glad if you helped me achieve 130+ fps while playing with america or western europe from Here :

i9-9900k
5700xt
1300 watts antec ,
and i can never reach good FPS while my lantency is 120 or 130 something . . .
if you can help help me too . .
Latency or Ping, and FPS can both cause lag, but both are almost independently exclusive. Just because you are experiencing lag from bad ping or packet loss dose not mean you FPS got lower, and visa versa. Just because you have FPS 1% and 0.1% lows that causes significant lag does not mean you can attribute it to your connection to the game...

Reactions: bniknafs9

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
Latency or Ping, and FPS can both cause lag, but both are almost independently exclusive. Just because you are experiencing lag from bad ping or packet loss dose not mean you FPS got lower, and visa versa. Just because you have FPS 1% and 0.1% lows that causes significant lag does not mean you can attribute it to your connection to the game...
in call of duty series , they are mutually exclusive if you play for yourself
they even have an fps counter at the top for you.
maybe they are indepently exculsive in other games i don't play anymore.

No matter the game, be it valorant, LoL, minecraft, unturned, rdr2, gta5 etc. my fps caps out at 100
Do you have Riva tuner statistics running? This comes with most hardware monitoring software and has an input field to cap fps to say, 100. As @bniknafs9 said, Nvidia control panel, and I believe, Catalyst from AMD have global FPS limit options. A lot of games now have FPS limiters in the settings as well. What is the exact monitor being used? What is that monitors refresh rate? Do you have V-Sync, G-sync, or Freesync enabled?

in call of duty series , they are mutually exclusive if you play for yourself
they even have an fps counter at the top for you.
maybe they are indepently exculsive in other games i don't play anymore.
I have infinite warfare and have never experienced any FPS drops from high latency games. I am not saying you do not have lag, I have never seen it and my understanding of how things are rendered locally and then checked by the game server for player locations and inputs by players does not support your claim.

Apr 18, 2023
Do you have Riva tuner statistics running? This comes with most hardware monitoring software and has an input field to cap fps to say, 100. As @bniknafs9 said, Nvidia control panel, and I believe, Catalyst from AMD have global FPS limit options. A lot of games now have FPS limiters in the settings as well. What is the exact monitor being used? What is that monitors refresh rate? Do you have V-Sync, G-sync, or Freesync enabled?
As I stated above, I tried multiple FPS monitoring software, including ingame fps meter too. I didn't limit the fps in any of the games. I tried turning vsync on and off and it didnt help.

Reactions: helper800
As I stated above, I tried multiple FPS monitoring software, including ingame fps meter too. I didn't limit the fps in any of the games. I tried turning vsync on and off and it didnt help.
Do you have resizable bar enabled? Do you have the Windows "game mode" enabled? Have you tried disabling all overlays from software, and monitoring software and check fps with game provided fps counter? What is the exact minitoring software you are using right now? Do you have iCUE installed? What is the complete list of software you have that has monitoring abilities? I ask these questions because sometime when you have too many software trying to, "view," the FPS or stats on a PC it can cause issues.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
I have infinite warfare and have never experienced any FPS drops from high latency games. I am not saying you do not have lag, I have never seen it and my understanding of how things are rendered locally and then checked by the game server for player locations and inputs by players does not support your claim.
Here's my proof mate ,
i took the screenshots just for you

third-ping-3.jpg

seocnd-ping-1.jpg

See how easily FPS is improved when the latency drops . . .