[SOLVED] Can't get any video on new built PC

bojan_vladek

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2015
I built a new system after almost 8 years, so eager to finally use it... and I can't get any image, not even the motherboard brand or anything. Just blackness.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard: ASUS Prime A320M-F
RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR4 (2x8 GB)
**GPU:
Sapphire AMD R9 290 TRI-X OC GDDR5 4GB 512Bit (this is my previous gpu but it was working fine when i dismounted it from the last mobo)
PSU: Cooler Master 650w
**Samsung EVO 850 SSD 250GB (my usual boot drive, working fine on other pcs)

PC turns on, I have power, CPU fan spins, gpu fans spin, but there is no image. My monitor works fine on another pc.
I tried an older vga monitor because the mobo only has a vga output, that monitor couldn't get any image either.
I realized I hadn't plugged in the PCI express cables so I thought that was it, but after I plugged them in nothing changed.
I thought maybe if I plugged in my boot drive where the graphics drivers are installed, then it would be able to read the drivers and get me an image but that didn't work. The drive works fine on another pc.
I have read somewhere that ryzen 5s need some bios update otherwise they will not work on an AM4 socket mobo? Can that be the issue? Should I at least get a post or is that not possible without a working cpu?

Additional: If I need to update the bios via some kind of external drive, how can I even do that without getting an image on the screen?

I am so lost and frustrated. Mainly because I assembled a similar system for my father and it worked on the first try. I don't understand what is the issue here. I don't even wanna consider any of the pieces being DOA. That would royally suck. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

bojan_vladek

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2015
Thanks for the reply. This is crazy, the tech giant website of my country lists this motherboard as compatible with this cpu, I double checked it right now to make sure, it's definitely listed as compatible. I don't understand, is it not enough for the motherboard socket to be compatible with the cpu (AM4 & AM4)? What else do we have to pay attention to when choosing parts??

Also there is a tiny piece of paper that came out from the cpu box containing a note from AMD saying this cpu is compatible with am4 motherboards when the needed bios update is installed.

I am confused

Wolfshadw

Titan
CPU Socket is only half of the equation. The CPU also has to be compatible with the motherboard's chip set (A320, B450, B550, etc...). The ONLY way to ensure compatibility is to make sure the motherboard manufacturer lists your desired CPU on it's CPU Support List.

-Wolf sends

bojan_vladek

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2015
Okay, thank you. One more question: If I do have a compatible motherboard, will the motherboard give me video output? even without a gpu?

Just so I narrow it down in case I get no image again this time with a compatible board for real?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thank you both. I'm frustrated but at least knowing the issue gives me comfort. I can't believe how vendor websites can put you in this spot...

Have a nice day

Vendor websites are just about worthless; they're not experts in the product, they're expertise is in logistics, that is, facilitating the sale of components from manufacturer to consumer. Any issues of compatibility and even features should be taken from the manufacturer's page for the product. The correct socket is necessary but not sufficient by itself for compatibility.

This is kind of the downside of AM4 letting the socket live so long. Eventually, there were so many generations of AM4 that makers that used smaller BIOS chips ran out of room for microcode. A chip with more storage is pretty cheap, but budget motherboards are a product with razor-thin margins and without knowing for sure that it would have any practical use when they designed the boards, saving the buck had a lot of merit.