Can't get audio through 2nd display (HDTV)

smill110

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I have my PC connected to:
1.) my monitor (AOC i2353) - primary display
2.) my HDTV (Samsung UE40ES5500) - secondary display

Both are connected to my AMD Radeon HD 7850 video card via HDMI, although the TV is via Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter, since there is only one HDMI-out on the video card.

The TV's own speakers are disabled and sound is handled by a Yamaha sound-bar via Digital Optical cable from the TV, which works fine for FreeView TV, PlayStation, etc.

I am getting picture perfectly on both displays, as well as sound on the monitor, but Catalyst Control Centre is telling me that the TV does not support audio (which it clearly does!).

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

smill110

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Okay, thanks, I'll try that. Why should it make a difference, though? Both are supposed to be able to carry sound as well as picture.

smill110

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I'm now using the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter with the monitor and it's not getting any sound... Picture is fine, though.

smill110

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
When I check the Volume Control in Windows, what's showing up now is SPDIF Interface (TX0) (VIA High Definition Audio). Pretty sure it was AMD High Definition Audio Device before.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
the display port does carry sound, they both do. Put tv back into the original hdmi port, you should get the AMD High def back.

Enable the speakers on the tv and see if sound is then picked up by CCC.

chugot9218

Honorable
Do you have that Realtek HD Audio? I found that to be quite confusing to use, you may have to play around with that a bit. Also, windows audio settings can be confusing as well, switch around your primary device in there to see if you get sound. HDMI transfers sound over the cable, I believe displayport does as well, but it may get lost somewhere with the adapter, although I wouldn't think so, that is why he recommended using HDMI for the device you want sound with.

smill110

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
@boju: That'd take me back to square 1! I want audio from both displays and I need the TV to use the sound-bar, not its own crumby speakers. What is 'CCC'?

@chugot9218: Don't think Realtek HD Audio is one of them.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Catalyst Control Center, i meant try see if by enabling tv speakers is not confusing the graphics card telling it there's no sound supported because the tv speakers are disabled.

smill110

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

CCC... Sorry, was being dense!

What if I were to try getting the Motherboard's integrated sound to take over? There's a Digital Optimcal out on the MB that I could connect to the sound-bar. Wpuld this scupper the sound from the Radeon's HDMI to my monitor? Just a thought...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
it all should theoretically play simultaneously. Is the volume on your sound bar affected if you raise the TV volume? could have the TV speakers enabled just volume on mute or very low. Im curious to know if by enabling tv speakers you might get sound, along with your monitor.

Uninstall the AMD Audio Drivers, run the CCC installer, custom remove or something to that effect... Helped me, no worries about the realtek installer. For whatever reason, the HDMI to your TV thinks your TV has no speakers so it's not sending audio, the windows HDMI is good enough to get audio, you have to remove the AMD audio driver to use the windows crap. Hope this helps.

smill110

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I can't use the sound-bar unless the TV's speakers are disabled. I see what you're getting at, though.

One way or another, it seems to be the Mini Displayport (or adapter) that's causing the loss of sound. Unless it's a coincidence that the TV wasn't getting any...

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Rightclick the little speaker icon down by your clock and click playback devices. Within that menu rightclick the HDMI Audio and set as default device.

smill110

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Won't let me; it says not plugged in.

smill110

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Both displays do carry audio. My monitor has speakers and a headphone jack, my TV outputs to the sound-bar via Optical.