can't get CD drive to functiion...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi there,

I have a machine here that has a CD Rom drive in it and it's listed under a
yellow exclamation mark.

I reloaded the device driver and it comes up with the error message "Windows
succcessfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the
hardware device. (Code 41).

I swapped the CD drive for a new one and still the same thing, so it's in
the XP software somewhere...

How to solve?

Thanks,

Gordon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Remove/uninstall the drive from device manager.
Power off the machine and unplug it.
Make sure the data cable you are connecting it to is good and well seated in
both the drive and the Motherboard.
Make sure it is properly jumpered for master or slave.
Make sure the power plug going to it is working (swap it with the HDD
maybe).
Power up.
Problem solved?
If not, post back.

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Gordon J. Rattray" <gords@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I have a machine here that has a CD Rom drive in it and it's listed under
> yellow exclamation mark.
> I reloaded the device driver and it comes up with the error message
> "Windows
> succcessfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find
> the
> hardware device. (Code 41).
> I swapped the CD drive for a new one and still the same thing, so it's in
> the XP software somewhere...
> How to solve?
> Thanks,
> Gordon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Nope, that didn't work....even tried slaving both the original CD drive and
the new "test" one to the primary cable behind the hard drive...same thing.

I've heard of this happening before, can't remember what it was...some
software or registry glitch....

Gordon

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

--
> Nope, that didn't work....even tried slaving both the original CD drive
> and
> the new "test" one to the primary cable behind the hard drive...same
> thing.
>
> I've heard of this happening before, can't remember what it was...some
> software or registry glitch....
>
> Gordon
>

> "NotMe" <cargod01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Remove/uninstall the drive from device manager.
>> Power off the machine and unplug it.
>> Make sure the data cable you are connecting it to is good and well seated
> in
>> both the drive and the Motherboard.
>> Make sure it is properly jumpered for master or slave.
>> Make sure the power plug going to it is working (swap it with the HDD
>> maybe).
>> Power up.
>> Problem solved?
>> If not, post back.
>>
>> --
>> A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
>> "Gordon J. Rattray" <gords@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> > Hi there,
>> > I have a machine here that has a CD Rom drive in it and it's listed
> under
>> > yellow exclamation mark.
>> > I reloaded the device driver and it comes up with the error message
>> > "Windows
>> > succcessfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
>> > find
>> > the
>> > hardware device. (Code 41).
>> > I swapped the CD drive for a new one and still the same thing, so it's
> in
>> > the XP software somewhere...
>> > How to solve?
>> > Thanks,
>> > Gordon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

BAM! You hit it right on!..... It worked! Just removing that registry key
did the trick.....