Question Can't Get [Driver for] Network Adapter Downloaded Again

Dec 11, 2019
Yesterday I was having trouble with my internet going in and out then eventually it stopped. I have an Inspiron 13 7000 series and on the bottom right there is a globe icon I click on Network & Internet Settings and there is no WiFi option. I ended up uninstalling the Wireless Adapter and tried to get it to reinstall per recommendations online but with no avail. I have tried multiple things with no luck and not sure what to do at this point. The adapter that I had was "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC- 3165. I tried downloading the driver to a USB online and to download it but keep getting an error and not able to get it to install. I am lost and about to just buy a new laptop. Please help!

Thank you

Post the hardware id for your Wi-Fi adapter found in the Windows Device Manager:

1. Open the Device Manager.
  2. Right-click the device and select Properties.
  3. Click on the Details tab.
  4. Select Hardware Ids from the drop-down list.
  5. Post the information displayed.

Dec 11, 2019
Post the hardware id for your Wi-Fi adapter found in the Windows Device Manager:

1. Open the Device Manager.
  2. Right-click the device and select Properties.
  3. Click on the Details tab.
  4. Select Hardware Ids from the drop-down list.
  5. Post the information displayed.

The adapter is not there, how am I suppose to this?

Dec 11, 2019
Is there no unknown device listed? This includes devices with an exclamation mark.

You can also try to scan for hardware changes. However, if Windows is not seeing the adapter, this could be a hardware issue (faulty Wi-Fi adapter).

Yes it is not there at all. It was there before I uninstalled it but now I can't get it back

Dec 11, 2019
This is not a driver issue. If Windows does not see the adapter at all, then from Windows' perspective, it does not exist. Therefore, I am leaning towards a hardware issue. The adapter will need to be tested and replaced if necessary.

Is this tough to do? And even worth it on a 4 year computer?

Dec 11, 2019
So I opened Windows in safe mode and the adapter showed up but has an exclamation point next to. I tried to update it but it said the most up to date one is installed. Any steps from here?

Is the adapter now showing up permanently? If it is and you want to reinstall the driver, then I recommend following my instructions above to obtain the hardware ID. This will help us find the proper driver to install. If the adapter is showing up intermittently, then the adapter may still be faulty.

I agree with the other poster that an external USB Wi-Fi adapter would be the easiest and cheapest route. If you are comfortable with working on the insides of a laptop, you could replace the adapter. However, this will require you to purchase an equivalent/compatible replacement.