Question Can't get external monitor to use dedicated graphics card ?

Nov 23, 2020
Hello!

I have an issue running external monitor off my laptop.

The laptop has a graphics card that is made for CAD work. But when I attached the second monitor, it used the very weak onboard graphic card instead of the CAD graphics card. I have tried turning the inboard graphics card off, but then I can not use the second monitor. So it looks like it only uses the onboard GPU for the external monitor ?

Is there a way I can tell the laptop to use the CAD graphics card for the external monitor?

Here is a list of the graphics cards:
Onboard graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630
GPU: Nvidia Quadro M1200

P.S. I have set the GPU to run the CAD software.

Many thanks!!

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'm not able to find anything that forces the laptop outputs to use the discrete graphics card. With the 7000 series Precisions, there looks to be a "Graphics Special Mode" that allows this, but seems to be a new addition to the line and may not be available for your system. Are you using HDMI or Thunderbolt to connect your external display?

-Wolf sends

Nov 23, 2020
My laptop connects to a Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB16), from there I use a DisplayPort cable. Does that help?

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
go to NVIDIA Control Panel and open the PhysX Settings section, it will show you which GPU is controlling each active display.

Have you tried this? It's looking more and more like the external ports are hard wired to the iGPU. Introducing a docking station to the mix is it's own complication.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Applecorn