Question Can't get my first build to boot or even power on ?

Jul 31, 2021
Okay guys, this is my first build and first thread so if I need to post elsewhere or miss any crucial info lmk. So for starters ill list my specs but i bought replacement ram and a new mobo over the time since this problem began. I started with an Asus x 370-f mobo with a ryzen 5 2600x cpu that I got from a friend. Had 2 x 8 gb tridentz rgb ram, an EVGA Geforce 1080 FTW graphics card. and a corsair 850 gold power supply. For storage, i use a samsung 860 evo 250 gb ssd and a 2 tb barracuda harddrive from Seagate I believe. Idk what caused the computer to stop working in the first place, but i lost signal to monitor but the pc turned on and the fans would light up and spin, including the gpu.

I thought maybe it was the board or cpu so got a b550 that i returned because it wasnt compatible with my cpu. So instead I ordered a b450-f 2 off amazon and when I tried it, I got no fans. no lights or anything. When I hit the on switch for the psu the standy I/o light comes on, but nothing happens with the power button or jumping the pins with a screwdriver. So ordered a replacement board and same deal, but when on the 370 board the lights will come on without video.

I've reset the cmos and took the battery out, tried in and out of case on all boards, bought another set of g skill ram, tried to update bios on the 450 board but 370 board doesnt bios flashback button. I just can't wrap my head around what I messed up. After all this I wanna say cpu or bios issues are the cause because everything else works on my friends pc like my psu and graphics card. But his has an athlon so my cpu and board we cant test. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I spent 900 on this altogether and I only had it working for like 2 weeks after I finally got it running. Thanks guys.

Take a step back and start over.

Empty the components from the case and verify the motherboard standoffs are where you need them and any extras are removed from the back plain of the case.

Install only the motherboard, cpu, gpu, and 1 memory stick to test a minimal configuration and see if you can reach the BIOS. If it won't run in this configuration try a different memory stick. If the same thing happens then that would indicate the motherboard, cpu, gpu, or PSU are defective.

Since the motherboard is new I would rule out the motherboard for now. That leaves the cpu, psu, or gpu as likely culprits.

You say you've tested the gpu and psu on your friends PC, so that leaves only one option at this point...the cpu is defective.

Jul 31, 2021
Sorry for the late reply. So when taken out of the case there is no change. I checked the cpu and there were no broken or bent pins.
The weird thing is on the 370, which was the original board that started acting up, the system will turn on with lights and fans. cpu fans spin too, just wont display. Even then disk player and drives all spin and work too. If I take out ram sticks it shows the orange ram light on the led lights, if remove the graphics card, it will cycle through the lights until the gpu and then powers itself off. If everything for boot is plugged into the board, it will cycle through each light without pause, but will not light the green boot light before it begins the cycle through them again. Its an endless loop too as long as i keep it on.
I was hoping the new board would fix it but after i install everyhing to the new board, it doesn't even power on at all. I can update bios from the way the lights blink, but no matter what I try it wont power on, even when trying to jump it with a screwdriver. I agree that it definitely is an issue with my cpu, but if it was defective would the lights, fans and drives still work? I figured the lights and fans could but the drives light and spin up and the disk drive also runs spins and opens.
Is there anyway to fix this issue without purchasing a new cpu? I've spent a lot on this already especially after it stopped working, and i'm at the point I just want to sell it to cut my losses because I cant afford a new cpu at this point. If I can get it running I may keep it or be able to sell it as a full build, so if I can get it working it would be awesome. Thanks again for the help guys.