Question Can't Get Front USB Ports To Work Correctly?

RealJohnJohnson

Honorable
May 24, 2016
I have four front USB ports; one of them, which is a USB 2.0 port, does not work: in Windows, it shows up as not recognized, and in the UEFI BIOS, it doesn't work either. Does this imply that it's an issue with my hardware or something? One of my front USB 3.0 ports shows up as USB 2.0 when I plug something into it, which is also strange.

I have a Z97-A MOBO, and my case is a Define R5.

Thanks!

USB ports come in pairs so if one in a pair doesn't work properly it must be a contact on it or wire leading from MB to it.
USB3 is separate controller and needs driver to work as USB3. You can check for that in Device manager, If you plug in a USB 2 device in USB3 port it will work at SB2 speeds only and be identified as USB2.

RealJohnJohnson

Honorable
May 24, 2016
USB ports come in pairs so if one in a pair doesn't work properly it must be a contact on it or wire leading from MB to it.
USB3 is separate controller and needs driver to work as USB3. You can check for that in Device manager, If you plug in a USB 2 device in USB3 port it will work at SB2 speeds only and be identified as USB2.

It's odd because it's only one of my USB 3.0 ports that is identified as USB 2.0; the other one works perfectly... It's really strange. Do you think swapping out my case and MOBO would fix it?