Can't get full resolution in Nvidia Surround mode

mayday.green

Reputable
Nov 7, 2017
Hello,
Some time ago I've tested triple wide Nvidia Surround on the following setup and it worked like a charm:
GTX 780
One Dell 2209wa 1680x1050 (native) connected by DVI->DVI
Another Dell 2209wa 1680x1050 (native) connected by DVI->DVI
One cheap Asus monitor (I think it was a VS228DE native 1920x1080) running 1680x1050 connected by HDMI->DVI cable
Sadly I don't remember the drivers I was using then.

I was able to run the desired 5040x1050 @60Hz without a problem.

My new setup isn't working correctly.
GTX 1070
One Dell 2209wa 1680x1050 (native) connected by DVI->DVI
Another Dell 2209wa 1680x1050 (native) connected by HDMI->DVI
One Dell p2212H native 1920x1080 running 1680x1050 connected using a DP->DVI passive adapter and DVI->DVI cable
Using the latest drivers

The monitors work fine until I enable surround. When that happens, I can only choose a maximum resolution of 3840x1024. For some reason it's defaulting to 75Hz but I CAN choose 60Hz.

What am I doing wrong? Is it because of the passive adapter? Does it HAVE to be active, even in a new card like this? Would a DP->DVI cable work instead? Am I shit out of luck until I get a monitor with DP input?

Solution
They are different resolution monitors. They will only work at the same refresh rate and resolution they have in common. They must also match sync polarity at that resolution.

I couldn’t get three monitors of the same resolution and refresh rate working at full res. Because the polarity did not match. Fortunately I had a third of the same make and model on the way. It worked correctly.

I suggest you go on eBay and buy a used Dell 2209wa, to match the others. Then sell or return that mismatched monitor.
They are different resolution monitors. They will only work at the same refresh rate and resolution they have in common. They must also match sync polarity at that resolution.

I couldn’t get three monitors of the same resolution and refresh rate working at full res. Because the polarity did not match. Fortunately I had a third of the same make and model on the way. It worked correctly.

I suggest you go on eBay and buy a used Dell 2209wa, to match the others. Then sell or return that mismatched monitor.

Solution

mayday.green

Reputable
Nov 7, 2017

I understand it's possible that the old Asus monitor I used before had the same sync polarity, while the Dell p2212H has a different one? And that's the cause of the problem now?

It is likely the case. One workaround is to force the drivers of one monitor onto another. As far as I know that only has a chance of working if they have the same native resolution and refresh rate. That doesn’t always work and can cause other problems.

mayday.green

Reputable
Nov 7, 2017
Thank you.
I AM planning on getting a third 2209WA (used ones are very cheap and very good for my needs) but I'd like to first check if the setup will work. Fortunately I can get that old Asus back for testing - I'll try it and post the results here in a few days.