[SOLVED] Can't get into BIOS?

Mar 10, 2019
Alright, so today I got some Arctic thermal paste from newegg, which is quite nice. I ordered it because a week ago I was putting together my PC, and had only smudge left of thermal paste. So I ordered some more, and it finally came. I cleaned off the old thermal paste from my CPU, and applied the new one, put everything back together, and PC booted normally, or at least I thought.

This time the motherboard splash screen didn't show up upon boot. My monitor sort of went black, then next thing ya know I'm at my windows lock screen. My CPU was still OC'd, but my ram frequency was reset to default speeds. Which I found strange, so I shut down my PC, and booted back up again, no splash screen, straight to windows. So I did an advanced startup, and tried to enter UEFI from there, and as I'm restarting, my monitor goes black, skips the splash screen, and goes straight into windows.

I'd like to point out, everything seems to be running fine. This is the only issue I'm having. I would like to enter BIOS so I can overclock my RAM. Any ideas?

My Specs:
Ryzen 7 1700 (OC'd to 3.6ghz)
Asus ROG Strix Gaming F motherboard
24gb Patriot Viper Elite ; two 4 gb sticks, and two 8gb sticks (all running at the same frequency)
Red Devil RX 580 8gb
Raidmax 650 PSU 80plus Gold

Solution
Have you made any other changes to your system besides replacing thermal paste? One specific change that may be of interest is the monitor. What is the brand and model of the monitor? Did you change the monitor or monitor's settings recently?
Have you made any other changes to your system besides replacing thermal paste? One specific change that may be of interest is the monitor. What is the brand and model of the monitor? Did you change the monitor or monitor's settings recently?

Solution
Mar 10, 2019
It's a curved Acer monitor, but now I'd like to update you on the progress I made. I've decided to remove the cmos battery, which should reset BIOS. But now my GPU isn't working. Now maybe I'm wrong, because I haven't tested another monitor, but when the PC boots the motherboards onboard LED lights up white. According to the manual this means VGA, but I'm not using VGA. Any ideas?

The monitor could be the issue with your original problem. One possible solution is to find an option in the monitor's settings to split the screen. Basically, you want to provide the PC with a lower resolution (1920x1080) to properly display the BIOS.

Now for your second problem, VGA LED implies an error with the video card. Reseat the card and ensure all the power cables are plugged in.

Also, remember to unplug the power cord when resetting the BIOS. You should do this before shorting the two pins (CMOS reset) or removing the battery.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019
The monitor could be issue with your original problem. One possible solution is to find an option in the monitor's settings to split the screen. Basically, you want to provide the PC with a lower resolution (1920x1080) to properly display the BIOS.

Now for your second problem, VGA LED implies an error with the video card. Reseat the card and ensure all the power cables are plugged in.

Also, remember to unplug the power cord when resetting the BIOS. You should do this before shorting the two pins (CMOS reset) or removing the battery.
It turns out the monitor was the culprit. For some strange reason it just would not show the boot menu. I have no clue. I plugged in my old monitor, and it works like a charm.

Everything is fine now, I guess. Too bad I can't use my curved monitor. Thanks for the help.

You are welcome.

I do not understand why you cannot use your curved monitor. If the BIOS is the only issue, then why is that a deal breaker? I rarely access my system's BIOS unless I make changes. Although, I do understand your annoyance in having to switch monitors every time you want to update the BIOS.