[SOLVED] Can't get into BIOS ?

Feb 15, 2022
Hey there everyone!

I'm having a real bummer right now trying to get into the BIOS of my Desktop PC. At first, the system was booting too fast and just skipped past the BIOS. After troubleshooting this issue, and as a final resort removing and re-inserting the CMOS Battery I am now able to get to the Load screen, but upon pressing Del it just freezes up.... What could be causing this?

I just want to make some changes to the settings... install an update... and if possible change it from Legacy to UEFI which I am struggling with as well....

Any help is much obliged :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard: AX-370-Gaming 5
Ram: 32gb (4x8gb)
SSD/HDD: 512gb ssd (OS is on here) 1tb hdd
GPU: Radeon RX480 RedDevil PowerColor

incase it helps:
View: https://imgur.com/a/ChbkXT3#vyDvZ1C

Last edited:
Solution
That problem is driving me crazy, the other thing I know that could prevent it would be the installed hardware conflict, because if the bio's is not updated to understand a CPU control parameters, do you have a older cpu hanging around or friend you can borrow a CPU from that's compatible with the board. The worse I can think of like I mention before would be a faulty usb on the front panel if you have one, or even a old GPU to test with, it might be the conflict to the bio's not being able to understand the speed of the control of the installed hardware causing the primary conflict.

A2D3RS0N

Prominent
May 3, 2021
refer to manufactures support guide for BIO"S, your battery should be still good but I have bought new batteries just for them to be bad, if you have corrupted bio's you can follow the guide to jump your bios to reset them, once you can get into your bio's you can change your boot settings to slow down and display boot information along with splash image logo screen, most fast boot modes require holding the key just after you push the power button or rapidly tapping it, to get into it, you can also try booting into safe mode, giving you more time to get into the bio's., I have worked on some computers, that took a few mins to get into the bio's firmware because of a dying battery or because it has been left unplugged for too long don't worry the worse case scenario would be a defective bios chip and can be replaced with the proper precaustions.

Feb 15, 2022
Update:
I have tried first to disconnect all HD's and boot, still no success. Stuck on loading...

After this I tried using the CLR_CMOS function by holding a screwdriver down on the pins while being disconnected from electricity for 15 sec

This time i noticed booting into the BIOS screen took about 60 seconds compared to usually 5 seconds. Still when i hit DEL it says loading... and freezes

The last thing I tried was force updating the BIOS with a Software named "@bios" by gigabyte which also failed, but gave me the error : Bios not Readable

I am really dumbfounded and don't know what to do ... What does this mean?

On a side note, I noticed in the User manual a totally different and more modern BIOS is depicted compared to the one I remember using when I accessed it a couple of years ago ( I have the generic blue screened one )

A2D3RS0N

Prominent
May 3, 2021

The link above is an archive of support manuals, make sure you search for the model of your motherboard and make sure the rev 0.0-
(whatever number it maybe is correct to the release version of yours) They sell BIO chip replacements that can be PRe-flashed to updated versions but not all versions will be supported for your installed hardware, some people LIVE flash their BIO's with a utility tools
(best done in safe boot mode)(Pressing F8 seven times or so upon boot)
(
pending on version of windows),
provided by the manufacture on the site's support page, most of the software should have been packaged withyour motherboard but knowing these days they most likely don't and the site is the only source or third party sites that dedicate their sites to providing support information for products when a manufacture abandons updating support information on their products.
Some people use two small screw drivers to remove corrupted bio's chips or tweezers, the safest way is to modify a car fuse puller, it will take time and some reading to find the correct bio's chip's to replace it and of course being carful not to damage the PCB or any circuits or other related hardware, I found replacement bios' chips on EBAY, DigiKey, aliexpress, and even amazon$ by independent sellers. I have reason to believe your boi's is either corrupted or something could be wrong such as a damaged usb port or anything related to it so inspecting everything with a magnification tools would be beneficial to solving the problem related to the cause. I would disconnect things and test things on other functional computer hardware if you have them, who know if a bad keyboard with a crossed circuit could be a causing the conflict. The trouble-shooting the problem can be time consuming.
NOTE:below
The worse thing is onboard bio's chip failure, and would be painfully difficult to solder an new one on with micro-tubes with BGA balls measured at the correct net weight of microns required for their connection and conductivity, some people use silver conductive epoxy to quick solder chips that are very sensitive to being damage by heat.

Feb 15, 2022
Hi A2D3RS0N, thanks for your reply

Okay, so basically you believe my BIOS Chip is corrupted and would need replacing...

About 2 years ago, I moved Internationally and did not want to ship my Desktop PC separately, so I dis-assembled the machine and packed all parts carefully into my suitcase. Unfortunately though, I did not have an antistatic plastic to cover the motherboard, is it possible that this is the reason for the damage?

Another question would have been if it's possible that I maybe assembled something wrong, and that could be causing the malfunctioning BIOS?

Thanks

A2D3RS0N

Prominent
May 3, 2021
The average anti-static bag does not protect electronics from electronic pulse waves(EMP) that can corrupt memory chips, I would inspect every thing you can on the motherboard and make sure everything is right before considering buying new parts or a BIO's chip replacement. I would make sure none of the hardware components soldered to the board, The pins that go through to the back side of the motherboard are not bent and touching each other or circuits. I would go through an inspection first of the other related possible causes.

A2D3RS0N

Prominent
May 3, 2021
https://manualzz.com/

I find it always good to double or triple check work when plugging stuff in, so making sure everything is connected to the board right would be a cheaper option first to go down the list, for your inspection and take notes. or pulling you board to see the backside, I will leave a this as NOTE: SATA ports on motherboards can get damaged by vibration with contact to another object, never wiggle a SATA cable, the connection pins connecting SATA ports to the motherboard are fragile and can not withstand much movement.

Feb 15, 2022
So I have an Update:

I bought a brand new MotherBoard, GigaByte again and low and behold.

The problem is still there. I can't get into the freaking BIOS!!! I'm thinking maybe it has too do with my Case? Some static discharge causing this too happen?

If so then maybe the old one isn't broken either?

So frusttrating!!! It goes to post and I push the "del" and it just hangs....

The model is B550 Aorus Pro V2

ddd.jpg

A2D3RS0N

Prominent
May 3, 2021
That problem is driving me crazy, the other thing I know that could prevent it would be the installed hardware conflict, because if the bio's is not updated to understand a CPU control parameters, do you have a older cpu hanging around or friend you can borrow a CPU from that's compatible with the board. The worse I can think of like I mention before would be a faulty usb on the front panel if you have one, or even a old GPU to test with, it might be the conflict to the bio's not being able to understand the speed of the control of the installed hardware causing the primary conflict.

Solution

A2D3RS0N

Prominent
May 3, 2021
your bio's looks close to being updated with the current compatible hardware, so you may be right with your case something may be grounding out on your case.

Feb 15, 2022

OMG I managed to find the issue. For some reason, when I plug my Display Port cable into the 1st slot of my GPU, I can NOT get into BIOS whatsoever. Now after countless hours, I finally figured to try another Input after not knowing what to do and Voila!!! It works no issues....

Wow... This was so easy to fix, but it took me weeks to find it.... Can you maybe explain what's the GPU to do with the BIOS??? Because I do not understand. 0% haha.

Thanks for you're time mate, I really appreciate your efforts

A2D3RS0N

Prominent
May 3, 2021
There are some ports that will output higher digital speeds/ or lower digital signal set for limited color and the basic's, unless changed and some do not support analog signals with there basic install setting, I am just guessing based off of my own experience, the problem you have an extra board with nothing that I can conclusively consider anything wrong with it.

Most old computer repair shops still keep their old VGA monitors and other older types of display outputs with adpaters because of the whole BIO's resolution programming restrictions, all in the display output, they sell adapters to convert hdmi to lower analog types of signals, most of the time the GPU settings in the control panel you have the option to change the signal output for the converter adapters your trying to convert. There's so many high end monitors on the market creating the whole conflict with monitors when they have their own simple OS and processor.

There's always a good reason to keep old hardware for testing, so you don't have to risk buying more hardware you don't need.