Question I can't get into recovery mode ?

Muhamad-j1234

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
Hi all,
I just bought a 2008 iMac. I don't have an Apple keyboard, so I'm using a Windows one. There's nothing on the hard drive at the moment, so theres the flashing folder icon with question mark. When I press the 'alt' key on my windows keyboard, theres a white screen and I can move the mouse. When i press any other combination nothing happens, and I see the folder thing.

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Clarify:

"there is nothing on the hard drive" - did the previous owner/seller wipe the drive so no OS?

And you need to install the applicable apple drivers for the keyboard make and model being used.

Update your post to include full iMac specs and include keyboard/mouse make and model information.

Muhamad-j1234

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
I did upgrade it to a 120gb ssd, i still have the original hard drive, so should i try to put that back in? just tested the original hdd and it works fine

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
The recovery partition is on the original HDD, so that won't be there in a new SSD. You'll need to do a fresh installation on the SSD from a MacOS CD/DVD.

Edit: you could also try this with the original HDD. Direct download of MacOS is at this official link. Only goes as far back as 10.7 Lion though.

Muhamad-j1234

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
I just put the original hard drive back in, which has some version of macos, and it shows me the apple logo with a spinning thing underneath, then the spinning thing goes away and I just see an apple logo. Tried windows + r, but it just boots normally

TRENDING THREADS