[SOLVED] Can't get IP direct from modem.

Mar 30, 2020
Having an issue connecting my PC direct to my modem.

I have a DOCSIS model DPC3848Vm modem with 4 ports in the back.
I just got a new PC and trying to connect it direct to the modem.
My PC motherboard is Asus Prime Z370-P II (LGA1151) and I also have a new TP-Link network card, both having the same issue.
If I connect my router or any of the other 3 PCs I have direct to the modem I have no problem getting an IP with any of the ports.
If I connect my new PC to my router I get an IP no problem.
It's only when I connect my new PC direct to the modem that I can't get an IP or any other settings (DNS, IPV6 etc)

This is ipconfig /all when connected to modem.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Wnv9Udu

I'm lost. Any help would be great.

Solution
You have to be very careful with your terminology. The device you call a modem is a modem and router in the same box. A actual modem without a router there are limits of how many devices will get IP (normally only 1).

This must be some configuration issue with DHCP setting on the modem/router. It is strange that it give ip to the other devices but not this one. I would check the dhcp configuration and see if there is a limit to how many ip it has in the pool.

You could also configure your PC with a fixed IP within the valid subnet of the modem/router and make sure it actually works. This would confirm it was some dhcp issue.
You have to be very careful with your terminology. The device you call a modem is a modem and router in the same box. A actual modem without a router there are limits of how many devices will get IP (normally only 1).

This must be some configuration issue with DHCP setting on the modem/router. It is strange that it give ip to the other devices but not this one. I would check the dhcp configuration and see if there is a limit to how many ip it has in the pool.

You could also configure your PC with a fixed IP within the valid subnet of the modem/router and make sure it actually works. This would confirm it was some dhcp issue.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Mar 30, 2020
I just plugged in my other PC directly to the modem. Works no problem. I copied down the settings and set my new PC with those settings and tried to connect direct to modem. didn't work. It was saying "the default gateway is not available"

I'll try the Linux live CD and let you know.

thanks.

Mar 30, 2020
Ran Ubuntu live usb and it booted up connected to the modem no problem. Getting IP and everything else. So it seems it's a windows issue. I've already installed windows twice with the same problem. The last time I installed windows I had the PC connected to modem and even during install it wouldn't find the IP. Any ideas?