Can't get monitor working.

eridian00

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
I just built a pc for the very first time, and i went online to look at videos for how to attach all the wires and everything, which i triple checked so all of those are working, but i am trying to connect my pc to my tv with an hdmi cable and it is not working. I am using an asus gtx 1060 gpu and it had hdmi ports on it, but when i connect them i don't get any picture. And i didn't get a dvi cable with it since i thought the hdmi would work fine, so i have nothing set up on the pc yet either. What can i do? My tv works fine with things like a ps4 hooked up with the hdmi, but nothing with this new pc. I'm positive all the wires are connected correctly on the inside, and when i power it up everything kicks on inside as well.

Is there something i need to do for it to be able to show picture with an hdmi cable, or do i need to buy an hdmi to dvi cord for it to work? Or would my older pc monitor cord which i believe is vga work if i got a dvi converter for it? Don't wanna buy anything extra if i don't need to or buy the wrong thing.

eridian00

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014

Corsair 750 power supply, amd fx 8350 vishera 8 core cpu, msi gaming 970 motherboard, 16gb ram, and 2tb hard drive. The cpu and motherboard came in a bundle from new egg so there should be zero issues with them working together. And as i said, everything turns on, all the lights turn on and the fans start running, just no video display on my tv through an hdmi connector.