[SOLVED] Can't get MSI Pro Z690-A WIFI and 12600kf to post

Mar 8, 2022
I am trying to upgrade my PC to Alder Lake.
New parts MSI Pro Z690-A WIFI, 12600kf and one stick of DDR5 Kingston KF556C40BB-16 RAM. So reusing PSU (Seasonic 500et), GPU (rx 580 nitro), drives (only SATA), case. I know old parts are working because i rebuilt that PC again to check.
When I use new parts PC turns on, fans spin (including GPU), EZ Debug LED indicators pass one by one and turn off but i get no monitor output.

Things I tried:

Different monitor one HDMI one DVI
Another graphics card
Turning on with no drives plugged in
Different memory slots for my 1 stick of RAM
Resetting CPU
Rebuilding PC
Reset BIOS
Gone try "No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist. Last step "Boot with only CPU, GPU and RAM" i get no beep from speaker, But EZ Debug LED indicators correctly indicate, last light stays on, no drive and ofc nothing on monitor

Last edited:
Solution
PSU is Seasonic 500w et
GPU RX 580 Nitro, i tried my old HD6950 also
Ram DDR5 Kingston KF556C40BB-16 5600Mhz CL40 16GB
I will edit question with this info also
That PSU is about 15 year old design and does not have the proper connectors for an RX580 as far as I know. Are you using adapters on it? The PSU may or may not be the cause of your problem but you need to replace that ancient thing regardless. It only managed 400 watts on the +12 volt when it was new so not a 500 watt model at all and is likely capable of less by now due to its age.

As far as the memory goes, there's no 5600mhz. kits on the QVL for that motherboard from any brand that I could find. Kingston claims that kit to be plug-n-play at 4800 mhz. which should...
I am trying to upgrade my PC to Alder Lake.
New parts MSI Pro Z690-A WIFI, 12600k and one stick of RAM. So reusing PSU, GPU, drives (only SATA), case. I know old parts are working because i rebuilt that PC again to check.
When I use new parts PC turns on, fans spin (including GPU), EZ Debug LED indicators pass one by one and turn off but i get no monitor output.

Things I tried:

Different monitor one HDMI one DVI
Another graphics card
Turning on with no drives plugged in
Different memory slots for my 1 stick of RAM
Resetting CPU
Rebuilding PC
Reset BIOS
Gone try "No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist. Last step "Boot with only CPU, GPU and RAM" i get no beep from speaker, But EZ Debug LED indicators correctly indicate, last light stays on, no drive and ofc nothing on monitor
The MSI board you got is a DDR5 board. Did you use DDR5 memory? List all your parts, give details.

ref.- https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7D25v2.0.pdf

Mar 8, 2022
PSU is Seasonic 500w et

PSU is Seasonic 500w et
That PSU is about 15 year old design and does not have the proper connectors for an RX580 as far as I know. Are you using adapters on it? The PSU may or may not be the cause of your problem but you need to replace that ancient thing regardless. It only managed 400 watts on the +12 volt when it was new so not a 500 watt model at all and is likely capable of less by now due to its age.

As far as the memory goes, there's no 5600mhz. kits on the QVL for that motherboard from any brand that I could find. Kingston claims that kit to be plug-n-play at 4800 mhz. which should work for you on that CPU, but not sure if you have a compatibility issue there.

Motherboard swap requires complete wipe of main drive and clean install of supported version of windows. Failure to do this can prevent boot and proper operation. Not sure if you're using outdated version of windows but you should be doing a clean install with a new CPU and board. The OS drive should be the only drive connected when you do this.

Reactions: perax1
Solution
Mar 8, 2022
Thank you all for trying to help me.

Today i was going to pack up everything and send it back, then i noticed i made a embarrassingly stupid mistake. Place Where I was building this PC dosent have enough electrical outlets. So I had only 1 monitor plugged in. When I tried to use other monitor I would swap electric and HDMI DVI. What I didn't notice is that I had DVI monitor plugged into electric but HDMI in PC, so when I tried to use other one I would swap power and connection, and do that several times... In my defence I was working that day, after that I was at my cousin's helping them with some work and finaly late at night i tried to assemble my PC. Poor PC probably booted just fine many times...

PSU has all necessary connectors 6+8 pin for GPU and 8+8 for CPU.
You are right I should change it because it is old (had it with 2500k and 3770k after), but where i am from it is difficult to find good PSU.
Loaded XMP in bios and RAM is working 5600Mhz latency 40 tested with memtest.

I guess, add take a rest day to troubleshooting guide...

Reactions: rgd1101