Can't get my card to work at all. PLEASE HELP!

G

I currently have an old Dell Precision 450 and am trying to install an even older ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500 (128MB) video card. I've followed all the instructions 3 times now and still can't get any signal to the monitor at all. Here's some of the specs for the computer and the card.

- Dell Precision 450 workstation

http://www.dell.com/downloads/us/products/precn/ws450_spec.pdf

(it has the xeon 2.8Ghz standard single processor and 2Gb of RAM)

- ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500 (128MB)

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/3211_1013941__4

If you know what's happening or have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks again for the help.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Questions:

Where did you get the card?

New or Used?

Did you personally test the card to ensure it was working before?

What Operating system are you working with? Windows XP Professional, 2000, Linux Red hat?

Did you make sure to change BIOS to automatically boot AGP slot first before the integrated GPU?

Do you have another Desktop with an AGP slot to test the card on?

Do you have other VGA cables to test it with?

Does the monitor work with another computer?

G

- The card is brand new. It was never opened and sat in my dad's house for 5 years. He received it from his work.

- New.

- There is no way for me to test it other than trying to install it. It does not appear to be physically damaged in any way.

- I am running Windows XP pro which is supposed to be compatible with the card.

- I checked the BIOS but I didn't see anything about the integrated GPU. I don't believe the motherboard has any integrated video capability. The computer always came from dell with a graphics card of some kind installed. That and there is no VGA or DVI port attached to the motherboard.

- Only desktop I have right now. Especially with an AGP slot.

- Only have the one VGA cable but it as well as the vga/dci adapter worked just fine with the old video card.

- It works perfectly with the original video card.

The only thing close to an answer I could find is a quote from a 5 year old "review/comment" about the product.

"If your PC shows start up screens like the BIOS etc. the graphics card is working. If you don't, either the card is broken (lots of capacitors that stick out of it can break off in transit!!) , or that DVI switch (never noticed that on our 8500DV's) you've noticed is stopping things. "

There is no physical switch/jumper that I can see on the card so I assume that he is talking about the DVI to DVI-I compatibility switch that was made or the DVI to VGA switch? Not really sure.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
If there's no integrated graphics on the motherboard, then the most probably diagnosis is a defective GPU. This is not a concrete diagnosis seeing as how we can't try the card else where.

About the DVI to VGA adapter I dont think this is an issue.