[SOLVED] Can't get my monitor to 60hz on 4k display ?

Apr 30, 2021
Specs:
Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard
AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core Processor (3.1gz)
ASUS ROG Strix 1070ti Graphics Card
Samsung U28H750 4k Monitor

So I've had this monitor for a while and a friend of mine reminded me that I should upgrade to 4k. So I upgraded my HDMI cable to a DisplayPort cable (6ft) and tested it out with no avail. In the physical monitor settings it says I'm on DisplayPort version 1.2 so no issue there. I'm currently at 3840 x 2160 @60hz but when I select the 4k option in the Nvidia Control Panel it only allows me to select 30hz. I already have most of my bases covered such as using display port instead of hdmi, displayport version 1.2 instead of 1.1, 4k compatible graphics card and monitor. I'm wondering if it could be the drivers or maybe I didn't plug in something correctly but I'm not sure. It's more likely that there's a more glaring issue that I'm not seeing, any ideas?

Solution
hvs9kcD.png

So this is what my Nvidia Control Panel is reading:
Black Arrow: I'm assuming this is the option I need to be at to be at 4k because it says 4k on the left and Ultra HD at the top but only lets me choose 30hz,29hz,28hz on the right side there
Red Arrow: What I'm currently at and works fine at 60hz. I feel like I might be mistaken and that 3840 x 2160 is already 4k? Is that it? If so, then what is the other option for? Also I was able to be at this option at 60hz with my old HDMI cable before but HDMI's don't normally support 4k unless it's HDMI 2.0, so maybe my old cable was 2.0 and was already good enough?
Ultra HD section uses CTA timings, PC section is for all other timings. It's a...
I'm currently at 3840 x 2160 @60hz...
you mean your devices support 2160p @ 60Hz or that you are actually running at this?
if you're already running at 2160 60Hz, than who really cares what NCP currently shows?

if you mean your devices support it, but can't run that;
possibly there are settings in the monitor onscreen menu that need to be configured properly first.

and sometimes you need to set the proper refresh rate within Windows first:
Settings > Display > Advanced display settings > Display adapter properties for Display > "Monitor" tab > Screen refresh rate drop-down menu: 60Hz

you can also try downloading the latest monitor driver package from ASUS.

Apr 30, 2021
hvs9kcD.png

Black Arrow: I'm assuming this is the option I need to be at to be at 4k because it says 4k on the left and Ultra HD at the top but only lets me choose 30hz,29hz,28hz on the right side there
Red Arrow: What I'm currently at and works fine at 60hz. I feel like I might be mistaken and that 3840 x 2160 is already 4k? Is that it? If so, then what is the other option for? Also I was able to be at this option at 60hz with my old HDMI cable before but HDMI's don't normally support 4k unless it's HDMI 2.0, so maybe my old cable was 2.0 and was already good enough?

Last edited:
hvs9kcD.png

Ultra HD section uses CTA timings, PC section is for all other timings. It's a technical detail which doesn't matter and isn't shown in the NVIDIA control panel, so I'm not sure why they chose to organize them that way, but that's what they did. Don't worry about it, just select the 3840×2160 option that works at 60 Hz.

Most HDMI cables will work at 4K 60 Hz, even old ones, as long as they aren't super long (10+ metres).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS