[SOLVED] Can't get my monitor to display 2560x1440 at 144Hz

Jul 9, 2021
Although my monitor supports 2K at 144Hz and I use a DP cable, I can't get it to work at maximum settings.
The 144Hz option doesn't even show up in Windows Display Settings or NVIDIA Control Panel. ( included photos)
Could the DP cable be broken? Or does the problem lie somewhere else?

My monitor model :HP x27i IPS

in case the rest of the hardware may be relevant:

Gigabyte RTX2060 Windforce OC Rev. 2.0
i5 11400 + be quiet air cooler
2x8GB 3200mhz ram
corsair sf600
AsRock H570m-ITX

Last edited:
Solution
Theoretically you should be able to use the monitor at native resolution(2560×1440) at 144 Hz . Even DP 1.2 supports 2560×1440 at 144Hz
DP 1.2 Specs
If you want to run the monitor at 144 Hz you need to disable any G-Sync or vertical sync or Freesync on both of your monitor and Nvidia Control Panel.
Jul 9, 2021
I have now tried connecting my monitor with a HDMI cable and it works as intended (2K@144Hz).
Does this mean that the DP cable is malfunctioning?

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
Theoretically you should be able to use the monitor at native resolution(2560×1440) at 144 Hz . Even DP 1.2 supports 2560×1440 at 144Hz
DP 1.2 Specs
If you want to run the monitor at 144 Hz you need to disable any G-Sync or vertical sync or Freesync on both of your monitor and Nvidia Control Panel.

Solution

I'm curious of your source for this suggestion. Why would you disable Freesync ? The entire point of Freesync is to smooth out game play by syncing a monitor and gpu refresh rate...it has nothing to do with enabling the 144hz refresh rate on a monitor.

Reactions: SoumithCS

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
I'm curious of your source for this suggestion. Why would you disable Freesync ? The entire point of Freesync is to smooth out game play by syncing a monitor and gpu refresh rate...it has nothing to do with enabling the 144hz refresh rate on a monitor.
Yes Freesync functionality is to smooth gaming experience but it doesn't work with Nvidia GPU

Yes Freesync functionality is to smooth gaming experience but it doesn't work with Nvidia GPU

Newer Nvidia GPUs do work with Freesync monitors...they have for a while now. The 2060 is one of those cards that will work with a Freesync monitor. There are some lower quality monitors Nvidia didn't support initially, but I know the list of supported Freesync monitors is larger now.

Reddit users are reporting the HP x27i IPS monitor as full functional with G-sync enabled in the Nvidia control panel.

Last edited:

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
Newer Nvidia GPUs do work with Freesync monitors...they have for a while now. The 2060 is one of those cards that will work with a Freesync monitor. There are some lower quality monitors Nvidia didn't support initially, but I know the list of supported Freesync monitors is larger now.

Reddit users are reporting the HP x27i IPS monitor as full functional with G-sync enabled in the Nvidia control panel.
Yes you are correct even LG Ultragear Monitors support G-Sync too but they are not certified by Nvidia. If there is any monitor that has Freesync but not certified to be used with G-Sync then it might have minor issues with syncing the FPS amd Monitor refresh rate due to the discrepancies. See the video attached. It might be G-Sync compatible but has no assurance to work.