[SOLVED] Can't get my new Displays to run above 60Hz! Tried basic troubleshooting. Suggestions welcome!

Jul 10, 2020
Hi there,

This is my first time posting on a Forum like this, so please forgive my 'posting etiquette' if it's wrong or lacks detail.

Monitors in quesiton:

MSI 32 Optix MAG322CQR
Dell S3220DGF

Both monitors should perform:

Display Port - 2560 x 1440 (Up to 165Hz)
HDMI - 2560 x 1440 (Up to 144Hz)

Cables used:

HDMI 'High Speed' included with Monitors at purchase. Unfortunately my Graphics Card GTX 750ti doesnt have a Display Port to test, only HDMI.

Hardware used:

Nvidia GTX 750ti PC running Windows 10
Xbox One X

I am not using both monitors at the same time. Only one is hooked up via HDMI at any given time.

Problem 1:

The MSI runs at 1440p 120Hz through my Xbox One X (as long as I fiddle around with the montitor settings), although originally it would only let me run on 1080p at 120Hz or 1440p at 60Hz.

However, when connected to my PC, it will only let me choose 1440p (Native) at 60Hz, or 1080p at 144Hz. This is true in both Windows Advanced Display Settings and the NVIDIA Control Panel.

I should be able to run the Monitor at 1440p Native at 144Hz via HDMI 2.0, so I am a little confused. Any suggestions?

Problem 2:

The Dell is even more confusing. Both my Xbox One X and PC only give me the option to run the monitor at 60Hz no matter the resolution.

As I am having problems with both monitors I feel I am doing something fundamentally wrong. Any suggestions?

I would highly appreciate any help as I am hoping to sell the Dell to 'pay off' some of the expense of the MSI.

Many thanks in advance!

Solution
Couldn't find anything relating to issues running the Dell above 60Hz. Im wondering if the backwards compatibility part to Hdmi 1.4 could be causing issues.

Try Custom Resolution Utility and see if that helps.

Upgrading GPU with DP and or Hdmi2 would be ideal.
Jul 10, 2020
Not sure about what's involved setting up an Xbox but the 750Ti has an issue. It doesn't have Hdmi2. Best it (Hdmi 1.4) can can do is 1080p 144Hz.

Hehe, facepalm moment. That's the MSI problem sorted then. I plan to upgrade my rig moving foward anyway. I had a really good deal with the MSI which is why I bought the monitor in advance.

Now just the Dell which won't even do 144Hz at 1080p on PC or 120Hz on the Xbox One X... Wouldn't want to sell it without the new owner knowing it's capabilities.

Also, many thanks Boju!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Couldn't find anything relating to issues running the Dell above 60Hz. Im wondering if the backwards compatibility part to Hdmi 1.4 could be causing issues.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 10, 2020

Thanks Boju, will try Custom Resolution Utility. Will let you know how it goes!

Reactions: boju
Jul 10, 2020
Thought I would update this thread just in case it helps anyone else. I upgraded to a GTX 1060 to test Display Port and HDMI with the Dell monitor. Initially I still didn't have any luck with the HDMI port or Display Port running the monitor above 60Hz. I had a buyer ready on the condition I could get the HDMI working at 144Hz.

I did try CRU as Boju suggested but again no luck.

As a last attempt I plugged it back up via Display Port and just messed around with the in built monitor settings, e.g. turning HDR on and off, FreeSync on and off etc. Out of the blue it then decided it detected the monitors ability to run at 165Hz!

Plugging the HDMI cable back in it also allowed me to run the monitor at 144Hz! The best I could do with the xbox was 120Hz at 1080p.

Reactions: boju