Question Can't get my new EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra GPU to fit in my mobo. Any suggestions?

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
I'm a little upset. Finally got my new EVGA 3080 Ultra and it doesnt seem to fully click into the slot because of the protruding fan with the eagle on it on my x570 Aorus Elite. Seen here:

View: https://imgur.com/a/hs3tbjd

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem? Or if anyone has any advice? It seems to just be resting on that eagle fan, preventing it from going in by a hair, and my monitor is not getting a signal. If there's no other solution, I think I'll be looking into vertically mounting the card I guess.

Last edited:

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
If you want to keep the motherboard, then you might need to get a PCIe riser...to install the GPU horinzontally.
What's the PC case model?

The case model is Lian Li Lancool II. It looks like the have a verical GPU mount but it is expensive and 3.0 rather than 4.0 so not sure if that affects performance.

However the situation has evolved as I've tried more things. I am now not sure it is the graphics card that is the problem. I gave it a good shove and think I got it in. So, I tested it again and still no signal to the monitor. So I tried plugging in another monitor, this time DVI instead of HDMI, still no signal to monitor. So, I tried just plugging my HDMI straight into the motherboard, still no signal. But since its not showing a signal from the motherboard either, I think it might be another problem beyond the GPU. I've tried unplugging anf powering off the monitors. Not sure what else I can do. The monitors work fine on my old computer. They are just not working on my first boot of a new build. Any advice?

The case model is Lian Li Lancool II. It looks like the have a verical GPU mount but it is expensive and 3.0 rather than 4.0 so not sure if that affects performance.
The Lian Li Vertical GPU Kit cost around $55.
The RTX 3080 won't saturate the PCIe 3.0, so it is fine to get the 3.0.

However the situation has evolved as I've tried more things. I am now not sure it is the graphics card that is the problem. I gave it a good shove and think I got it in. So, I tested it again and still no signal to the monitor. So I tried plugging in another monitor, this time DVI instead of HDMI, still no signal to monitor. So, I tried just plugging my HDMI straight into the motherboard, still no signal. But since its not showing a signal from the motherboard either, I think it might be another problem beyond the GPU. I've tried unplugging anf powering off the monitors. Not sure what else I can do. The monitors work fine on my old computer. They are just not working on my first boot of a new build. Any advice?
Could you post your system components.
Which CPU do you have?
Unless you have a CPU with integrated graphics (iGPU) you won't get any signal connecting a monitor to any of the motherboard display ports.

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
Yep, no prob. Here are the specs:

EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra GPU
Ryzen 5900X CPU
x570 Aorus Elite Mobo
3600 Trident Neo Ram (2x16)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Sabrent SSD M.2

It looks like Ryzen 9 doesnt have iGPU from what I searched, so maybe it still is the graphics card. Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions? I'm going to go through everything today just to make sure no cables came loose anywhere. THen, I guess all I have left is to try vertical mount, unless there are any more suggestions.

Last edited: