Can't get new HDD to work

Ariel Soto

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
Hi everyone. Hope you can help me.
I recently bought a Sata Seagate 500gb HDD. The HDD is used, but suposedly it works fine.
I planned to use it along with my other Seagate 320gb HDD.
At first, i had issues to make it work. The HDD was making beeping noises every 2 seconds. I exchanged cables like 4 times until the system detected it an the beeping noises stopped, but once I got into Windows, it just detected it for 5-10 minutes and then, same thing again, it was telling me the drive was not detected and the beep would start again.
I tried it again, and this time it worked for 2 hours, so I moved at least 150gb of games to it.
When I came back from work, the issue was still there and I had to restart.
Now it won't detect it or even start at all if it is plugged in. Strange enough, if I plug it in IDE mode (bios has an option to turn port 5 and 6 to IDE mode), it will detect it in the bios, but not once I get to Windows.
Any ideas? I ran out of solutions already

I don't really care about the data inside. I just want the HDD to work

My Motherboard is A88xM-E

Solution
That drive is probably dying. Either some connection is faulty or the electronic is.
You can try with an USB enclosure to exclude that the problem is on your PC, but if it keeps misbehaving don't waste your time on it: it's unreliable by definition and cannot be trusted with your data.

Filippo_P

Honorable
Oct 29, 2015
That drive is probably dying. Either some connection is faulty or the electronic is.
You can try with an USB enclosure to exclude that the problem is on your PC, but if it keeps misbehaving don't waste your time on it: it's unreliable by definition and cannot be trusted with your data.

Solution
Hey there & Happy New Year, @Ariel Soto!

I totally agree with @Filippo on the fact that your HDD is most probably physically corrupted. This is something that cannot be fixed, unfortunately! :(
Since the HDD is brand new, I'd strongly recommend you get in touch with the reseller's or the manufacturer's customer support for assistance with the RMA procedure. You should be able to get this failed HDD replaced, since it's still covered by the warranty (I assume).

The clicking noises coming from the drive usually indicate such hardware failure, so there's nothing you can do by yourself to fix it. Get a new HDD as soon as possible.

In the future, always make sure you back up your files to at least one more location. Keeping only one copy of your data, without any duplicates on another storage device is highly dangerous and you'd most probably suffer the data-loss consequences again. So better be safe than sorry, right? :)

Hope this was helpful. Best of luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD