Build Advice Can't get new motherboard to boot

Lasagnasmoothie

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Hello,

I recently purchased an ASUS - ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO motherboard and AMD Ryzen 5 2600X CPU. (Upgrading from an ASUS X99 Sabertooth motherboard and intel i7 5820k.) I'm also using a Corsair H110i GTX liquid cooler which I transferred over from my previous motherboard. Upon getting everything setup and powering on the motherboard for the the first time, I was greeted with a screen saying the CPU had been changed. After this the BIOS screen appeared and said there were two errors: a CPU fan error, and I believe some sort of error involving the PCI express slot. (I should have taken a picture of the screen as unfortunately I can't remember exactly what these error messages said.) Later, when I was examining the mother board, I discovered I had plugged the CPU cooler into a chassis fan connection port rather than the CPU fan connection port - so I believe this mistake accounts for the CPU fan error. (I've since corrected this mistake.) Anyway, next to each of these issues was an option that let me toggle from manual to automatic. I selected the automatic option and the computer proceeded to reboot.

Unfortunately, starting with this reboot my computer screen has been completely blank. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get my computer to boot up. Things I've tried:

-Moving the ram around to different slots
-Pressing the "Safe Boot" button on the motherboard
-Removing the CMOS battery for several hours
-Moving my GPU to a different PCI slot

Some additional information:

-The Q-Code LED on the motherboard shows a zero followed by a backwards six. This is quite odd as there's no q-code in the appendix of my motherboard manual that feature backwards numbers.
-The Q-LED on the motherboard shows a yellow green light. According to the manual this indicates a booting device error.
-The hard disk LED on the motherboard lights up during the boot sequence, indicating hard disk activity.

A couple of photos showing the code/error light and the motherboard:

https://s12.photobucket.com/user/La...zpspge6m8hn.jpg.html?filters=Array&sort=1&o=1
https://s12.photobucket.com/user/La...zpspb7wwysk.jpg.html?filters=Array&sort=1&o=0

Other components used: 256GB ADATA SP610 SATA III SSD (operating system), 500GB Samsung EVO SSD, 16GB 3200MHZ Silicon Power DDR4, Asus 1080ti Strix GPU, 850 watt EVGA power supply. Also, rather than using thermal paste on my CPU, I'm using a graphite thermal pad. I'm running windows 10.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Last edited:

Lasagnasmoothie

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Another poster here found this thread on Asus' own forums: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92269-Q-code-error-0d-Crosshair-VI#post642696

The boot device aspect makes me think it's the boot drive, though I would only anticipate it being an issue when trying to boot to Windows (it sounds like you haven't performed a fresh install).

Thank you very much for your insight. You're correct in deducing I haven't performed a fresh windows install. Do you have any suggestions on how to do this under the present circumstances? As mentioned, I'm getting absolutely nothing from the computer at the moment. Presuming that's the issue, Is my only option to swap everything back, perform a fresh windows install with the old hardware and then swap everything back again? This would be quite the hassle. Thanks again for your response.

Lasagnasmoothie

Reputable
May 5, 2015
A fresh Windows installation would be with the new hardware as it would minimise any software conflict. But since your system isn't booting with the intended boot drive... the other possibility is to try another drive.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not really sure how I can try another drive when my operating system is only on one of my SSDs. Perhaps I can see about making a bootable flash drive. Of course, the original computer came with Windows 7, so I may have to purchase a copy of Windows 10 to even go about that. I'll have to do some research. Regardless, thank you again for your assitance.