Can't get past 100Mbps connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

arleitiss

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Hey, so yesterday I upgraded my broadband to 240Mb package, I was on 120Mb before.
My upload speed has gone up but Download still remained as old, I think there is problem in my setup. The network status shows Speed: 100.0Mbps and doesn't go past that.

Specs (Just in case it matters) :
CPU: FX-8350
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 8GB
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Cable: CAT5E - 4PR 24AWG - 50 Meters.
Router: Thomson TWG870UIR (http://wwwch.upc-cablecom.ch/original_thomson_twg870_manual.pdf)

All settings on PC related to network are not changed.

What should I look for and what to change?

arleitiss

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

Yes, I've uplugged router and left it sitting for few minutes a few times. Still doesn't help.

arleitiss

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

In Network Connections, if I click on Status on my connection that says 100Mbps.
Also motherboard LED's on the back blink red meaning 100Mbps, should be green if above I think. (that's what motherboard manual says)

DerekVGH

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
It appears your computer and your router are auto-negotiating your connection speed to 100mb, for some reason. You can try forcing the connection to 1Gb by changing the properties of your network card in Device Manager. The option should be on the Link Speed tab of the Properties sheet of your network controller. Change the setting from Auto Negotiation to 1.0Gbps and see if your computer will connect at 1Gb. If it does, you are set. If not, then change it back to Auto and try a different cable.

arleitiss

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

Tried that, still 100Mbps.
Guess thats new cable for me.

Apr 7, 2019
I'm having the exact same issue. Wasn't sure what the problem is, still trying to figure it out.
Have a CAT6 Cable paid speeds up to 250/mb upload. and speed testing between 91-94mb/s
I'm thinking it might have something to do with my NIC driver because I don't even see the option
to Auto negotiate past 100MB no option runs past that for me on my drive.
Now I don't believe its a hardware problem, because I have a 2018 inspirion 15.
Not the best current pc. but i5 gen 8 intel cpu my wifi internet is able to hit speeds at 450/MBs
I would assume that my ethernet port is capable to 1g But id have to double check.
never thought about that until now, but i don't see why it wouldnt have 10/100/1000 when thats been
the standard for awhile. I would appriciate ANY possible ideas on this topic.
I currently have a new modem coming in the mail. But
I don't see how that would be the main source of my issue either if my driver properities don't even
give me the option of going over 100.

UPDATE: WOW ok so it took me a decent search to find exact specs.
Inspirion 15 5000 series ethernet is .... 10/100. LOL unbelievable for a current 8gen PC
Not posted ANYWHERE ON RETAIL OR OTHER WHEN PURCHASING SO BE WARE.
JUST BECAUSE IT SAYS RJ45 CABLE ETHERNET DOES NOT EXACTLY MEAN IT HAS 1G

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Cable is always the first thing to change. Your cable should be 100% copper, 22 or 24 GA wire. Flat cable or CCA (copper clad aluminum) will not work no matter what claims are made. If there are any wall jacks, that is the next most likely culprit.

Apr 7, 2019
Cable is always the first thing to change. Your cable should be 100% copper, 22 or 24 GA wire. Flat cable or CCA (copper clad aluminum) will not work no matter what claims are made. If there are any wall jacks, that is the next most likely culprit.

Yeah thanks, but i figured out the issue..
Hidden deep in the specifications not advertised.
My Ethernet NIC Ligitly is capped at 10/100
Not a modem, cable to speed problem with anything else other then
the built in hardware unfortunately.

Someone else posted something similar recently and I was surprised they make modern pc with 10/100 especially since the chipsets from intel support 10/100/1000 they don't even have to add a extra ethernet controller just some of the support chips. It was some fairly big brand like lenovo or something and they sell both laptops and desktop with only 10/100. It is strange since it cost about the same for both types of ports.

Apr 7, 2019
Someone else posted something similar recently and I was surprised they make modern pc with 10/100 especially since the chipsets from intel support 10/100/1000 they don't even have to add a extra ethernet controller just some of the support chips. It was some fairly big brand like lenovo or something and they sell both laptops and desktop with only 10/100. It is strange since it cost about the same for both types of ports.
Yeah man, Honestly never even thought that something so minimal like that was the issue. freaking crazy.
like you said, why even waste time putting in 10/100 this day in age on a new gen pc when standard has been
way 10/100/1000 for so many years. not even something you would think of lolol idk
shame when i hate using wifi, but the fact i can have minimal bars out of range
and still get better connection speeds then directly being plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.