ViridianVexus

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2014
Hi!

I'm posting this in systems, because I'm not sure what exactly is at play here.

I just got a NEW Ryzen 9 5950x, and Asus ROG Strix X570-E WiFi.

They will be upgrading my current build which consists of a:

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
Corsair 2 X 16GB RAM
A few SSDs
One HDD
And a Corsair 1000W PSU.

Upon installing the new components (all of which is ALWAYS done with an anti-static wrist strap), I get a black screen on boot. This motherboard has a Q-code POST indicator, and so far has hung on "02", and "d6". After some research, I learned that "02" is a micro-code error (pertaining to the CPU), and that "d6" occurs when there is no video output device detected.

I believe 02 stopped appearing after I either:
A. Tried pressing "F1" without being able to see anything, as instructed by another thread. This advanced the BIOS through POST a few stages, but eventually brought me to "d6"

Or
B. Unplugged all unnecessary USB devices.

GREAT! Now I'm stuck on "d6".

After checking some other forums, I have:

-Reseated the GPU and checked all cables.
-Reseated RAM sticks, and tried different slots.
-Popped the CMOS battery out and put back in.
-Checked all display cables
-Unplugged and replugged monitor (Idk, man, one guy said it worked)
- Tried both HDMI and DP. THEN tried a boot using the motherboard's onboard HDMI and DP, still with nothing.

GPU appears to be powering on correctly after pushing the power button.

I need some help here, guys. I've built around 5 or 6 other PCs, and upgraded this one a couple times now, but this issue has me stumped. System worked perfectly fine before swapping 2 parts. Parts that I handled with more care than you would your first born child.

ViridianVexus

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2014

ViridianVexus

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2014
Alright, I was able to borrow my brother's GPU to test, and sure enough, I got display and everything. I was pretty sure that with that fact, my 1070 was somehow fried. Motherboard manual says to use PCIe x16 slot 1, if running a single video card.

After taking out my brother's GPU (from slot 1), I decided to put my 1070 back in so it wasn't lying around, and inserted it into slot 2.

Boom. I got display, and loaded right into my OS.

This is frustrating, because it seems that PCIe slots 1 and2, are working perfectly fine, though the BIOS fails to recognize the 1070 in POST. I cannot seem to determine the exact issue.

I feel bad for opening this thread, but I'm gonna mark it solved.

TLDR: Even if you feel like you know the outcome, test your components in all slots.

ViridianVexus

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2014
Alright, I was able to borrow my brother's GPU to test, and sure enough, I got display and everything. I was pretty sure that with that fact, my 1070 was somehow fried. Motherboard manual says to use PCIe x16 slot 1, if running a single video card.

After taking out my brother's GPU (from slot 1), I decided to put my 1070 back in so it wasn't lying around, and inserted it into slot 2.

Boom. I got display, and loaded right into my OS.

This is frustrating, because it seems that PCIe slots 1 and2, are working perfectly fine, though the BIOS fails to recognize the 1070 in POST. I cannot seem to determine the exact issue.

I feel bad for opening this thread, but I'm gonna mark it solved.

TLDR: Even if you feel like you know the outcome, test your components in all slots.

Hey, yeah so that didn't last long.

I had fast boot enabled the one and only time I was able to load and see the BIOS, and now cannot get back into the BIOS to try and change my boot option. PC was starting with a black screen, but would load into my Ubuntu installation once post was completed. I tried two different commands to force the system to load into the BIOS on the next startup. I tried "sudo restart --firmware-setup", or whatever the actual command is, and I also tried editing the grub configuration file, just in case the window for BIOS hotkeys was like, 1 second. Neither worked.

After trying these, I went into Ubuntu's/KDE Plasma's settings, selected "Force UEFI boot menu on next startup", and restarted the PC. After this, I still had a black screen on startup, but never arrived at Ubuntu's login screen (while the 1070 was in slot 2, which previously worked). Board makes it to either 9E on POST, or AA, and hangs there. I have once again tried moving the card back and forth to PCIe slot 1, and back to 2, still with no display. I have popped the CMOS battery out and put it back in again, and tried using Flashback again just to see if anything would be reset.

So just to state again, a 1050ti worked in slot 1. The 1070FTW worked in slot 2, but not 1. Now the 1070 works in neither, and I am losing my mind because I feel like this board isn't defective. It worked somewhere in the middle of all this! But once again does not, now.

Aside from ripping it out of my PC, it's 40 minutes back to that computer store. If this is how the board is, and I haven't figured it out, I'd rather try and find that out now before I put a replacement of the same one back in the PC.