Question Can't get past bootscreen as the logo just gets stuck after spinning for two seconds.

mrlesander

Reputable
May 22, 2018
Components (old as in bought secondhand):
Motherboard: Asrock b365 pro4 (old)
CPU: i7-8700k (old)
GPU: GTX 970 (old)
Ram: Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 (new)
600watt be quiet bronze powersupply (old)
Kingston 480gb ssd (new)

So I've recently switched to a new cpu/motherboard and ram as listed above but unfortunately I've had some problems I just can't seem to resolve. I've build some computers and ran into quite some things but this is something I can't grasp.
Whilst booting up the Asrock logo pops up and starts loading for two second just to get stuck and bascially crash. I've tried waiting for a long time but nothing happens.
Weirdly enough it doesn't go to the bios even though I just put in SSD with nothing on it. So it literallyhas nothing to boot to anyway.
I thought that maybe the problem was that it didn't have anything to boot to so I downloaded windows onto an usb and plugged it in. Unfortunately the exact same problem.

I was however able to go to the bios where I saw the usb drive and the ssd being registered. I selected the usb drive and it booted to it. The windows logo showed the circle started spinning just to, you guessed it, get stuck and crash.
After that I've tried:
  • Updating the bios to its latest driver
  • unplugging the gpu and taking out 1 ram stick
  • Reset the cmos after updating the bios drives which didn't work
  • Different wall plug incase it just didnt get enough power
I am starting to believe the motherboard is broken in a way. My question is: Does anyone has an idea on how to fix this?

Small update:
I put in a hdd with windows installed. It booted up, the logo came up and the circle spun for a tad longer before again getting stuck.
Also when trying to get to the windows repair it once again ended up getting stuck.
So progress but not the way I wanted it.

Other update:
I took the whole motherboard out of its case and made a recording of whats happening:
Graphical bug/ crash the quality isnt high but it should show what I mean.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021
Just and idea, you should try booting up with Linux(ubuntu ex.) with verbose mode and try to see what part of the initialization it gets stuck on. Or trying a different windows iso maybe it got damaged while downloading.

mrlesander

Reputable
May 22, 2018
Just and idea, you should try booting up with Linux(ubuntu ex.) with verbose mode and try to see what part of the initialization it gets stuck on. Or trying a different windows iso maybe it got damaged while downloading.
That is a good idea. I am going to try that out. Edit: It also didn't work. I got stuck almost the instant it booted up the installer. I also tried other ways of installing windows which also didnt work.

Last edited:

mrlesander

Reputable
May 22, 2018
If anyone else seems to have this problem. Unfortunately I found out that the CPU is just straight up busted.
The person who sold it to me is ghosting me too. I decided to order a different CPU and now my system is now working perfectly.

So the tip I can give those who read this: Make sure the component you are looking to buy can be seen working.