[SOLVED] Cant get port forwarding to work

PimpyBoi

Commendable
Jul 19, 2019
I have recently swapped isp companies and since the swap they installed fiber internet and gave us a modem and i plugged our router into it and our internet works fine but i have the ports opened on my router but when i check if the ports are open it keeps saying no, and previously it had worked perfectly fine and this is the only change, any ideas on how to fix?

Solution
how do i check that? and if its private would i be able to port forward?
If it is not a public IP address then you can't port forward. If it is private, then it means that there is another router in front of yours blocking your port forward.
@bill001g listed how to check. Use an IP check website like whatsmyip and compare that to WAN IP address listed in your router status.

PimpyBoi

Commendable
Jul 19, 2019
Do you know if the second ISP give you a public or private IP. You need to check that the IP you see in the wan interface in your router has the same IP as a site like whatsmyip. If these are different you do not have a public IP.

kanewolf

Titan
If it is not a public IP address then you can't port forward. If it is private, then it means that there is another router in front of yours blocking your port forward.
@bill001g listed how to check. Use an IP check website like whatsmyip and compare that to WAN IP address listed in your router status.

Solution

PimpyBoi

Commendable
Jul 19, 2019
yeah its different for me so theres nothing i can do then?