can't get push pins in

Navidbaradar

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Hi people of tomshardware!
i've been using this forum's information for a long time with reading the post, but this is the first time I actually had to post!
So I'm trying to install my cpu cooler and heatsink and can't! no matter what, two of the push pins don't go in... two of them sit on the motherboard and when I push them they click, but the other two stay like 1 millimeter higher than motherboard and don't completely sit on it.
i rotated the cooler, and those exact two push pins still didn't go in, so it's not the motherboard... but when I take out the cooler, all four pins look exactly like each other and none of them look broken.
I'm frustrated and don't know to do, since my computer turns off after 30 seconds! and I think it's because of the pushpins not being in.

Solution
Ok no problem there.

They are a tight fit.
And if the motherboard bends a a lot when installing it can cause a bit of a head ache due to the amount of force used to get the pins to sit in the holes and then lock them.

When mounting it. Try to put each opposite corner push pins in each first.
Top left, bottom right.

Then top right, bottom left.
Make sure the pins on the cooler are set in the right position before starting.

hi Navidbaradar,
turn all the pins fully toward the arrows , ensure the plastic clips that go through the mobo are as far down as they are meant to go , i have had them push upward and have had same trouble you are having, lightly pull them downward and see if they move , if they all look the same try reinstall, locate it on the cpu first and see if it will work before applying thermal paste and full install

Navidbaradar

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014

hi! thank for your quick response.
well that's my problem, I can see that all of them are located at the right position, and are a little in the holes, i don't know why but two of them go in more than the other two.

Name the motherboard used. and the model number.
And also the cpu cooler used, state the name and model number.

If you can do this then we can check what the problem is.

It would tell me that the cooler is sat on the lip edge of the cpu socket. where the hinge is for the locking arm. There is a slight rise in height of where the main hinge point it of the cpu socket.
If the cooler profile is wrong or too large it will hit this and rise up.

So you need to check the cooler and it`s profile of the underside to see if it accommodates the cpu socket type.

Ok no problem there.

They are a tight fit.
And if the motherboard bends a a lot when installing it can cause a bit of a head ache due to the amount of force used to get the pins to sit in the holes and then lock them.

When mounting it. Try to put each opposite corner push pins in each first.
Top left, bottom right.

Then top right, bottom left.
Make sure the pins on the cooler are set in the right position before starting.

Solution