Can't get RAM to run @ 1866 (Sabertooth Z77)

branden_lucero

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
i received some Ballistix Tactical Tracer in the mail today (4GBx2x2) and i can't get them to run at their profile speed with X.M.P. i started selecting in small increments and each one posted @ 1600, 1800, but as soon as i select 1866 with all the timings and voltage automatically applied, it wont post and will continue to turn on and off before i have to reset the memory again. clearing CMOS and redoing steps changed nothing. RAM is compatible according to Crucial's website. :??:

Solution
Could try adding the fourth stick and raise the DRAM voltage about + 0.05 and might lift the MC (memory controller voltage (think it's DDRVTT or CPUVTT on your mobo)

branden_lucero

Distinguished
May 10, 2012

was originally using geil black dragon @ 1600 (8GBx4), for about 4 years but recently decided to make stuff look more aesthetically presentable, so i wanted my PC to look more blue-oriented in the lights. and downsized the amount of RAM in the process.

branden_lucero

Distinguished
May 10, 2012

because Crucial doesnt sell a set of 4GBx4 with these modules especially with these timings, otherwise i would have. you can buy them in singles or doubles but not in quad. and i cant opt for RAM that have bigger heat spreaders because the CPU cooler clearance wont allow it.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
What CPU? Need one that can run 4 sticks of 1866, generally a K model or a strong i5 or i7. Also no guarantees when mixing set s of DRAM even of the same exact model - the sticks that go into a package are tested to play nice. A 4 stick set often costs more than two sets of two sticks as it takes more testing to find four that all play nice. With the CPU we might be able to come up with some adjustments to voltages and timings to get them to play

branden_lucero

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
its a 3770K running at stock. i used to have it at 4.3GHz when i had my water loop. but i've since went back to a CPU cooler - running at stock with the turbo left on default. the only thing i didnt do is try the sticks one at a time, and then together as a pair separately. but i can't do that till tomorrow if that's a diagnosis to make, PC is at another house. its just going to be a pain because one of the sticks is right underneath the cooler so taking it out would be having to take out the heatsink (annoying every time).

also the XMP profile for the RAM is set at 9-9-9-27 @ 1.5v since i didnt mention it earlier.

branden_lucero

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
so i started doing this by taking out and putting sticks into different slots.

slots 1 and 3 run fine at xmp
slots 1, 2, 3 run fine at xmp
slots 1, 2, 3, 4 will not post

took the stick out of slot 4 and put it in slot 2: posts just fine
slots 1, 2, and 4 post just fine.
slots 1, 3, and 4 post just fine.

it seems that if i add a 4th stick, it will not post, but it'll post just fine with 3 sticks installed. all the ram slots work fine and all the memory sticks are fine.