Can't get "Recommended" resolution on Windows 7

alexander92

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Recently i bought new motherboard,i installed graphic drivers,but i can't get right resolution (1440x900),when i had my old motherboard everything was working fine,i installed same drivers on my new motherboard as i installed on my old motherboard,but i can't get it to work like before changing motherboard... :(

First make sure you know what resolutions your monitor can run -- then right click on the desktop and select screen resolution (this brings up the monitor and video card properties ) -- Under monitor settings select the proper refresh rate and uncheck the box that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" -- hit apply.

Now go back to the screen resolution selection box and under resolution it should now show 1440x900 in the list (NOTE : Be sure your monitor supports the resolution\refresh rate you choose as setting an unsupported resolution can damage the monitor.)

With Win 7 that is pretty much the norm --- unless you specifically go onto the manufacturers website and find the .inf file for your specific monitor windows will use it's generic monitor setting which is why the resolution you are wanting is not shown. Unchecking that box in the properties should then allow you to find the proper resolution - so you can either do it that way or go onto the monitor manufacturers website and try to find the inf file for your monitor (which will then also show the proper resolution since it is listed in the inf file.)

It is not the video card driver -- as he has mentioned it is the fact that windows 7 does not have the .inf file for his monitor and thus is using the generic non-plug n play monitor inf - which means it will only have very limited choices of resolution that almost any monitor can be run on -- in order to change this he either needs the inf file for his specific model of monitor to install -- OR he needs to uncheck the checkbox that limits the choices to only those known to run on the monitor so that all of the choices will be in the list to choose from -- either option will get the job done so that he can select the resolution he is wanting but the second option does have some risks if he does not know what the capabilities of the monitor are - as choosing settings that the monitor can not handle can damage the monitor but as long as he chooses something the monitor can handle it will be fine.

DANWIN

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

If he said all he did was switch out his motherboard and all that changed is his monitor size i would assume it's his drivers. If he really is missing his inf file he could just fix it with a driver update no need to go the manufacture's website to get inf file for it.

SALEM123 COURIERS

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
"
"

Thank you. it is very help to me
Regards,

Lalitha