Can't get resolution right - text looks blurry

PastaFeast

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
I got my new PC built and installed Windows 7 on it and everything seems to be going well, but I am slightly unhappy with the resolution it is making me use. I have kind of an odd setup - I have the PC plugged into a 32" 720p HD Samsung LCD TV, and I sit about 7 feet away from it. I chose to connect it with an HDMI cable and would expect everything to look crisp, but the text still seems kind of fuzzy.

I have been playing around with the different resolutions and TV settings, but the PC will really only let me use 1280 x 720 or else if I choose anything different parts of the desktop will get cut off, like they would expand out beyond the TV screen. My old PC running XP was hooked up to this same TV since 2008 and it used the regular blue tipped PC connector, I don't know if you call it VGA or DVI, but the typical blue ended one. With that PC the resolution was 1360 x 768 and it looked pretty sharp to me. I put that same plug into my new computer and it makes the resolution be 1360 x 768 also, but still doesn't look as crisp.

But back to the Win7 computer with the HDMI, is there anything I can do to make the resolution sharper? I know the TV can handle it, so I assume there is some obscure setting or something I could tweak. I really don't know my way around Windows 7 yet. I found you can magnify the text, but that doesn't really help.

PastaFeast

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Which drivers in particular? Everything is a fresh install, and it went through an hour of updating last night, so I'm honestly not sure what all got updated, there were over 150 items. I don't have a graphics card, I should mention that, it's all integrated with the motherboard. But my old XP computer didn't have an graphics card either yet was still crisp.