Can't get rid of message : Unable to load DLL 'setup_maclook.dll'

mamelonfou

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
Hi everybody,

I think I have a good one for you. I have this message at startup of my Windows 10 that I tolerate now since... a few years : Unable to load DLL 'setup_maclook.dll': The specified module could not be found (this is a translation of my french message).

I have absolutely no idea what this is about : I make my Windows updates, I scanned with malwarebytes anti-malware just today, in fact my PC is running really fine, just that there is that annoying message I hope I will resolve someday.

What I did up to now :

I did some research, it seems according to bitdefender that this is related to the virus boaxxe. I don't know if I already had boaxxe, but I've already had viruses about one year ago when I was on Windows 8.1, before my upgrade on Windows 10. This is all resolved now.

Other than that, I've passed through the steps of this interesting article :

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/dll-error-troubleshooting.htm

but I'm not ready to re-install Windows, as I did many tweaks on it to make it lighter (but just recently, so this can't be related to my problem). I did the sfc/scannow thing, I have verified all my drivers using Driverbooster.

Please help! I also think a good answer could help other people, as there is almost nothing on the web about this dll!!

Solution

I already told you the places to check, run and runonce, or more precisely HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run an runonce, as well as...
That dll is probably being loaded as a registry key in run/runonce or as a service or task, so you need to check all those.

And the reason you got viruses and this problem is because you are using random garbage like "driverbooster". Just stop downloading unnecessary files!

mamelonfou

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
Ok thanks a lot for that, from now I have to consider it as the most probable solution. Also, I didn't know Driverbooster had a bad reputation, I'll be more careful from now. I just try to have a stack of maintenance programs that make sense, but yeah, my malwares don't come from nowhere...

One last think : do you or someone else have an idea about the registry key or service or task that is causing my startup message?

It's going to be faster to just read the entries manually and figure out which one it is. If you have more than ~5 in either place then you have more issues than just that.

mamelonfou

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
Ok here are my actions, pardon me if I bring irrelevant information or if I misinterpret what you say.

I open the task manager, under the tab "processes" there are just 4 "apps", but 65 background processes. It seems a lot, but I dunno, many of them are from AVG or my "malwarebytes anti-exploit", or there are these "HD audio processes", or pad controller devices. There are just two I wouldn't want there (Youcam Mirage and Arcsoft eservutil), but there are not any that have a name that I can't understand where it is from.

In "startup", there are 17 of them, as I cleaned this yesterday. I understand them all and pretty sure they are not problematic.

In "services", there are a lot of them in execution!!! Like more than 40 for sure. I don't understand a thing in these, even in the description they give me. Is there a way to know if one of these tries to find this "setup_maclook.dll"? If not, I'm afraid this problem is in fact not at my level and I may keep enduring it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
basroil was telling you to look in regedit, not task manager. its an even more dangerous place than simply looking at task manager, you can do serious damage to pc if you not sure what you doing in regedit.

Processes tab: right click the header area and add command line, this will show you the path the software is associated with.

17 is a lot for start up but if you know them all, its okay I guess. just slows down start up.

Services will always be a lot, its the operations that keep windows running.

It would be easier to backup everything, reinstall windows and make the adjustments needed than to blindly wander into the registry as you can break windows if you not careful in there.

mamelonfou

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016

Talk' bout fast answers, you guys are amazing!

Ok, I understand there is no precise way to know the process that calls this "setup_maclook.dll", and also I have already begun consulting web articles that talk about disabling error messages at startup. I understand this can be very dangerous and you guys don't know all the possible repercussions of modifying one key, but as I said, I'm not ready to re-install Windows and if one of you had instructions to disable my startup message using regedit, I think it would be more of an enlightened decision than a random wandering through the registry, what do you think?

I already told you the places to check, run and runonce, or more precisely HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run an runonce, as well as HKEY_Current_User with the same paths. It will say RunDLL and then that DLL name. The second place will be task manager, and there you will have to search because it can literally be anywhere

Solution