Question Can't get side speakers to play sound!

Nov 25, 2020
Hi all, I'm going mad trying to get this to work, but the side speakers just wont produce any sound. It's plugged in correctly, they work as I tested them as front speakers, it registers them as an option, but under test they don't produce any sound. I've uninstalled and reinstalled various drivers but I can't get them to work. Running Windows 10 and any help/advice would be hugely appreciated!!
The
The speakers are:

Creative Labs 5300 Inspire 5.1 Computer Speakers

The cables being used are the stock cables that came with it which are TRS going to the PC.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Speakers: make, model configuration? Any audio adapters or cables being used?

Physical connectivity (TR, TRS, TRRS) matters:

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Could be just some mismatch or unsupported configuration.

= = = =

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters: the trouble shooters may find and fix something.

Right click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right screen corner.

Doing so should open a menu screen with 4 or 5 menu choices. Each menu choice will, in turn, lead to any number of windows, tabs, and properties options.

Take a look at all of the existing options and the current configuration settings. Initially just explore but make some notes especially if you find something that is not as it should be or otherwise unexpected/unknown.

Nov 25, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Speakers: make, model configuration? Any audio adapters or cables being used?

Physical connectivity (TR, TRS, TRRS) matters:

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Could be just some mismatch or unsupported configuration.

= = = =

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters: the trouble shooters may find and fix something.

Right click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right screen corner.

Doing so should open a menu screen with 4 or 5 menu choices. Each menu choice will, in turn, lead to any number of windows, tabs, and properties options.

Take a look at all of the existing options and the current configuration settings. Initially just explore but make some notes especially if you find something that is not as it should be or otherwise unexpected/unknown.

Hey, thanks for your reply. I've updated the post with the speakers and cables. I have gone through the various tabs and options available but nothing seems to make a difference. I've tried googling an answer but all the solutions like changing the Hz to 96000 ect doesn't work.

I know these are old speakers, but they did work about a year ago, I can't remember if they worked in the test section where you click on the individual speakers to produce a sound, but they did work in game, which they now don't. I also remember having issues before getting them set up but not sure what I did exactly and it didn't seem this hard. Perhaps a Windows update has caused an issue?

Trying to remember and I think I may have just put it to 7.1 and unchecked the rears which allowed the sides to play for some reason. Not 100% but I remember having that option at least. Now there is Only the 5.1 option available.

Oh and I also ran troubleshooter but unfortunately it didn't help.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"Now there is Only the 5.1 option available. "

My thought is that the current/newer drivers do not support 7.1 that originally happened to work by intent or just happened to work....

The newer drivers may have been thus"fixed" in some manner.

All I can think of is to go to Creative's website and find the older driver(s) that originally did work.

Nov 25, 2020

My thought is that the current/newer drivers do not support 7.1 that originally happened to work by intent or just happened to work....

All I can think of is to go to Creative's website and find the older driver(s) that originally did work.

okay thanks, will try that. Creative don't have drivers, it was realtek drivers I downloaded so maybe I'll try older versions of that.
Thanks

Nov 25, 2020

Checked the realtek drivers and last updated 2017 so no new drivers have been installed since

Ralston18

Titan
May be worth the attempt to install pre-2017 drivers.

However with so much time in between there likely have been other changes that make installing even older drivers moot.

Hopefully someone in the audiophile community will have other ideas and suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS