Can't get signal to monitor

big_slick

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004
I recenty finished assembling a new rig. I've got a K8T Master-FAR2 MoBo with an Athlon 64 FX-51 and a Radeon 9800 XT VGA. Turn the thing on and it seems to be working OK, only that the monitor isn't receiving a signal. The video card is seated right, it's getting power, but it ain't sending any signal. It's possible there's a problem with the VIA chipset, but even if there was I'd at least get a signal. This is my first rig I've built on my own, so it's possible I've made some greenhorn mistake, although I must have checked everything three times over. Any thoughts?

Download AGP drivers from VIA (if you have some other way of viewing/accesing the rig.

Intel board don't need it but AMD boards do (likely the case with FXs as well).

I would've thought it would give you basic vga functionality though.

Other than that Dunno. Always re-read instructions and look at every step you took, but hard to tell from here.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

JaxDIY

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004
Big_Slick:

Just put together my first DIY setup and had the same problem. Agonized for 5 hours trying everything I could think of. Finally found a series of posts on my MoBo site (Abit) that talked about reseating the RAM. Did so 6-7 times before it finally locked in - viola!!! Machine made it through the POST and gave out the beeps, and the screen came to life!

Hope this helps. Let us know what happens.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do you have the extra power cable connected to the card? Are you sure it's seated all the way?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>