Question Cant get sound through conference room setup

Jul 18, 2019
Hello,

so the problem is the following: We have set up a conference room with an audio system that is connected to a PC. This PC is then connected to the beamer, and you can connect your own laptop to it trough an hdmi multi-switch.
Now the thing is, if I connect my Laptop (or any laptop, both Windows 7, 10 and MacOS 10), it does not play any sound through the Audio system, which is connected to the PC. It just uses the laptops internal speakers, giving me no option to select another device.
If I connect my Laptop directly to the sound system (through sound-cable), it gives me sound
If I am on the PC itself (laptop not connected), I get the sound.
Now, why is it that the laptop sound won't play on the sound system, if I connect the laptop to the pc through HDMI? The Laptop's screen is displayed through Devon VisionViewer.
Any advice helps!

Jul 18, 2019
Isn´t the sound system connected to the HDMI multi switch?
There is unfortunately no way to directly connect it to the switch, since the sound system has no HDMI plugs and the switch has no sound-cable plug. That is why it's connected to the computer. Is this where the error occurs?
( For reference, the "analog 1" slot is being used to connect it to the PC )

Which exact multi switch is it? brand and model

Which computer is it? Which motherboard or HDMI capture card is it, so you have an HDMI in port?

Couldn´t find anything about a "Devon VisionViewer". Do you have a manual for this?

The easiest way would be connecting the audio system to the beamer audio output, if it has one

be sure the laptops´ audio options are correct:
select in windows sound (audio playback devices) the digital HDMI output as default audio device

Last edited:
Reactions: Flemming Viking
Jul 18, 2019
Hey Helpstar.
For now we solved it by adding audio cables, instead of relying on HDMI for the sound. The PC only has an outgoing DisplayPort, no HDMI. So we use an DisplayPort -> HDMI cable. But those shoud be able to translate sound, right? I heard that when using those cables, you can also get sound out of DisplayPort.
For the Multi Switch model, the manual and so on I would have to check next time I go to the office. I can try to get these informations! Would of course be great if we could find a solution that doesn't involve the extra audio cables (less cables = more fun)

But thank you so much for your effort so far! I appreciate it.

In our conference rooms and auditoriums with HDMI, the audio that is seen by the computer is from the audio switcher device, in our case it's Crestron. So the audio selection shows the onboard sound card, then the HDMI Crestron Audio or something like that. You would need an A/V tech to look over your setup to see what devices you have and how they can pass audio.

Reactions: Flemming Viking