Question Can't get sound through graphics card displayport

jkelley9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I can't find anything online that offers a good solution to my problem. I can get sound to work out of the motherboard (Sound Blaster Recon 3Di) to some external speakers but I don't want to use them anymore. My monitor has built in speakers that will be just fine for my needs and clear up some desk space. I cannot, no matter what cable I use, get sound to go through the video card to the monitor. Audio device "LG ULTRAWIDE (AMD High Definition Audio Device)" pops up as an option, so it's using the AMD driver of course.

Windows sees the monitor as an audio device. It thinks everything is gravy. But no sound.
I've done the "set to default" fix, but doesn't do anything.
All drivers up to date.
I've tried both dp-to-dp (not mini) cable and HDMI cable from the card to the monitor. Nothing.
Both cables are the high quality versions that are 4K, 60Hz, etc - they were the only ones I could get working to 2560x1080 anyways for the monitor resolution.

MB: Gigabyte Z170X-GAMING 7
Graphics: MSI R9 390 8G
Monitor: LG 34UM57 monitor
Windows 10

This would help me out so much! Thank you!

jkelley9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Well this is quite hilarious. Why can i turn up/down the volume from the monitor then? And it has a 3.5mm port. But that link is definitely my monitor..... something's weird here.

Edit: I think I get it now. That port is a "headphone out." So I'm guessing it can pass-thru audio via HDMI/DP but it has to go to headphones?