Question Can't get ssd to run as os after migrating

Lawrence Taylor

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2014
So I had bought a new SSD drive for my desktop. When I first try to install it using ATA cables and sata port my computer had a hard time reading the ssd drive. it was also listed as unknown in the device manager so I uninstalled it, and then reinstalled, and it wasn’t able to still read the drive. so I uninstalled it, and then reinstalled, and it wasn’t able to still read the drive. So I went and bought the sata to USB port , and it works. so the first solution I did was clone my HDD to my SSD. I’ve been restarted the computer as my SSD as the main drive, and it did not boot up. It’s saying that the boot disk was missing a file. I then switch back to my HDD hard drive and then migrated the operating system to the SSd. I then placed the SSD back into the SATA port and I got in a blue screen saying inaccessible boot disk. I just want to be able to use my new SSD drive. And transfer everything over to that new drive. Can anyone help me with that?

Ssd drive is "crucial mx500 2tb
My motherboard is a B550 gaming plus

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
I would do 2 things.

1. wipe and format that SSD that you want to use as your boot drive.
  2. Do a fresh windows install from USB onto that SSD.
Should boot for you. Then I would copy your data to the SSD or just keep the HDD installed as mass storage.

ASK THE COMMUNITY