Cant get SSD to work

jhutcheson

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014
So I have recently bought an SSD. I downloaded the programs that came with it, Magician and samsung data transfer. I transfered my data to the ssd and plugged it in to the motherboard and rebooted. I changed the boot priority to my ssd and I know for a fact windows launches on the ssd. I tried to then remove the hard drive and boot solely on the ssd. I got the blue background and a "This version of windows is not genuine". I then tried to boot with only my hard drive and windows failed to start. I ran start up repair with no luck. Currently the only way I can get my computer to the desktop is by booting with the SSD as P1 and the HDD as P2. I am at a complete lost and have nothing left to try. I want to either a) Wipe the SSD and just fresh install windows on there but my hard drive cant boot by itself. or b) Somehow get the cloned SSD to be "genuine"

I have a Samsung 850 evo SSD 250gb and a WD 1TB Caviar Blue HDD

Thanks in advance.

jhutcheson

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014

I bought my windows disk and activation key. I still have both of them. The only concern I have with wiping the cloned SSD is the fact that the only other spot I have my important docs, is on my (now unstable or so it seems) hard drive. Should I still be able to plug my hard drive back in once I get windows freshly installed on my SSD and copy over my docs?

doggghouse

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Maybe try this? http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/218176-not-genuine.html#post1828064

They mention the lockout being caused by the registry having the wrong drive letter. There's a link to some software that supposedly helps (though you may need to burn a CD). Also, they mention using system recovery options to reactivate using your original key.

jhutcheson

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014

Just want to get this right. You're saying to..
1. Format SSD clean
2. Shut down and reboot with only SSD in and fresh install my windows 7
3. Once I boot and get to the desktop with my fresh copy of windows, I can plug my old hdd in and copy over some files?
Correct?

one last question too. If I format my SSD right now, will my computer crash or something of that sort? Because my hard drive alone was not able to launch windows.

doggghouse

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

If/when you do format the SSD drive, you'll need to do it while the SSD is not being used to run Windows. Since you are unable to boot from the HDD for whatever reason, you'll probably need to do boot from the Win7 installation disk, then do an advanced installation and format the drive before installing.

It's hard to say for sure if you will be able to get your files off the old HDD, since currently you can't boot off of it for some reason. OOOOHHH, just thought of something: in the process of installing the SSD, did you change a BIOS setting from IDE to AHCI? That would cause your original Windows install to crash on the old HDD. If you switched back to IDE mode, you should be able to boot from your old HDD. There is a registry edit (I think?) to fix your installation to work in AHCI mode, but I'd have to look it up.