[SOLVED] Cant get system to boot after advanced reset???

Feb 3, 2020
Long story short my Windows 10 has been running like crap for the last month or two, I decided to do a fresh install of 10 but I accidentally formatted both HDD's thinking that would allow me to start with a new clean drive and install without having the old OS still on the drive somewhere! Big mistake now I cant get past a screen saying: Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key..... I now have to power to my keyboard ( I've tried 3) but my USB speakers power up? I also have no power to my 256GB Flash drive which has the Windows 10 ISO file on it.

My motherboard is a MSI H81M-P33 (ms-7817) but without power to my keyboard I cant access anything but all was okay half and hour ago but it was telling me I couldn't install windows on any of my HDD's.... I also tried deleting my partitions

I only have access to a laptop so not sure if i can fix this by plugging my HDD in to that?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
The CMOS is a battery on your motherboard

Download your manual - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H81M-P33.html#down-manual

On page 24 it says
JBAT: Clear CMOS Jumper There is CMOS RAM onboard that is external powered from a battery located on the motherboard to save system configuration data. With the CMOS RAM, the system can automatically boot into the operating system (OS) every time it is turned on. If you want to clear the system configuration, set the jumpers to clear the CMOS RAM.

the manual has a description of what the jumpers look like underneath and an important warning - You can clear the CMOS RAM by shorting this jumper while the system is off. Afterwards, open the jumper . Do not clear the CMOS RAM...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I also have no power to my 256GB Flash drive which has the Windows 10 ISO file on it.

clean install instructions won't help if OP can't seem to boot off the USB.
The motherboard manual doesn't tell me a lot. - Press DEL key to enter Setup Menu, F11 to enter Boot Menu

USB not working for keyboard and USB - what are specs of the PC? How old is PSU? USB not working could mean PSU not supplying enough power to run them. Or was it the same USB slot each time? Did you try USB 2?

Feb 3, 2020
PSU is less than 6 weeks old and 700W I also cant press DEL as I have no power to it. My speakers take more power than a keyboard and they power on fine... I'm starting to think that I've knackered my full PC now! I should have been able to do a fresh install but yet the stupid thing told me unable to install on any of my HDD's.

Feb 3, 2020
No i've no idea what that is or how to do it. All way too complicated for me I can just about mod certain games with great difficulty so this is way over my head. I don't get how I can do that without a working keyboard though. Is it likely to cost a fortune if I take it to a PC shop?

Feb 3, 2020
I tried 3 keyboards across 6 different ports as I heard USB 3.0 doesn't work for bios... I don't have one of those boards at the moment so it looks like ill have to order one. Why would it work at first and then stop suddenly? That was my wireless one too and it allowed me to press a key but just gave me the same message underneath.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The CMOS is a battery on your motherboard

Download your manual - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H81M-P33.html#down-manual

On page 24 it says
JBAT: Clear CMOS Jumper There is CMOS RAM onboard that is external powered from a battery located on the motherboard to save system configuration data. With the CMOS RAM, the system can automatically boot into the operating system (OS) every time it is turned on. If you want to clear the system configuration, set the jumpers to clear the CMOS RAM.

the manual has a description of what the jumpers look like underneath and an important warning - You can clear the CMOS RAM by shorting this jumper while the system is off. Afterwards, open the jumper . Do not clear the CMOS RAM while the system is on because it will damage the motherboard

unplug PC before you do it. You can use a paperclip to short the jumper.
wireless keyboards can be problems when it comes to bios recognising them.

Solution
make sure the keyboard is plugged into a black USB (2.0 port) port - the high speed ports may not be recognized w/o the correct drivers.
same for the Flash drive.
in bios make sure legacy USB is enabled
it'll be slower but you should be able to boot.

Long story short my Windows 10 has been running like crap for the last month or two, I decided to do a fresh install of 10 but I accidentally formatted both HDD's thinking that would allow me to start with a new clean drive and install without having the old OS still on the drive somewhere! Big mistake now I cant get past a screen saying: Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key..... I now have to power to my keyboard ( I've tried 3) but my USB speakers power up? I also have no power to my 256GB Flash drive which has the Windows 10 ISO file on it.

My motherboard is a MSI H81M-P33 (ms-7817) but without power to my keyboard I cant access anything but all was okay half and hour ago but it was telling me I couldn't install windows on any of my HDD's.... I also tried deleting my partitions

I only have access to a laptop so not sure if i can fix this by plugging my HDD in to that?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 3, 2020
Managed to find the manual where it says that. However I cant seem to find the location of the battery or jumper and what do you mean by use a paperclip to short I dont know all the terms yet?

Mr.Spock I have tried both my USB 2.0 and 3.0 and neither seem to work but only for the keyboard they can power speakers and charge my phone so there is 100% power to it. I also tried following advice on the web which said plug in the USB either top left port or top right again with no luck..

Colif

Win 11 Master
What brand is the PSU? Its wattage might just be a number if its not a good make/model PSU.

Page 11 of manual has a layout of the Motherboard, the battery is the big round thing underneath PCI_E1 on
the jumper is JBAT1 next to the battery

I can't find a simple set of instructions that show how to do it for your motherboard.

If you are unsure of what you are doing, I would get PC looked at by a shop as they should be able to figure out the problem.

Feb 3, 2020
Update...
I've fixed it but i couldn't find the jumper thing but i removed the CMOS battery left it out for 10 minutes then when i powered on it let my use my USB ports. Now back on windows 10 and running way better than it was beforehand.
Thanks for your help guys really appreciate it!