Can't get the boot order to change in the bios!

Aug 12, 2018
Hello!

Hope someone can help me out there! I recently installed a SSD in my Acer Aspire e15 7th gen laptop and cloned my Windows 10 OS from the factory installed HDD to there. I then switched the boot order in the BIOS and wiped the HDD.

However the laptop doesn't seem to boot from the SSD unless I use the F12 boot menu option and select it there. If I try to let the laptop boot up normally it dumps me into the Windows Recovery / Repair menu screen.

Any ideas how to fix this? Going into F12 every time isn't bad, but it does get annoying! Thanks in advance.

Solution
Before doing that major step, try this. It is based on the idea that the BIOS is confused about what is where, so we'll start by giving it NOTHING to boot from and then relieve its agony.

1. Shut down and unplug. Disconnect the SSD and any other HDD it has. IF there's a floppy drive (VERY unlikely) or an optical drive, leave it attached. Boot directly into BIOS Setup and tell it to boot from the optical drive or something, and remember to SAVE and EXIT. It will try to boot up and fail, giving you the message to install a bootable disk. Just shut down and unplug. This forces the BIOS to record that there are NO bootable devices anywhere.
2. Re-connect ONLY your SSD that contains Windows. Boot directly into BIOS Setup again. This time...

PilotPlangy

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Sorry for the obvious question but have you booted into BIOS to actually change the boot priority permanently?

Holding delete or F2 right after powering on normally boots you into BIOS. Give it a shot but dont change anything your unfamiliar with or you might make it even worse ;)

Aug 12, 2018

--Hello PilotPlangy

Yep -- after moving the OS I rebooted the laptop and went into the F2 BIOS setup and switched the order of the hard discs.

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016

You did this exactly?

http://

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Before doing that major step, try this. It is based on the idea that the BIOS is confused about what is where, so we'll start by giving it NOTHING to boot from and then relieve its agony.

1. Shut down and unplug. Disconnect the SSD and any other HDD it has. IF there's a floppy drive (VERY unlikely) or an optical drive, leave it attached. Boot directly into BIOS Setup and tell it to boot from the optical drive or something, and remember to SAVE and EXIT. It will try to boot up and fail, giving you the message to install a bootable disk. Just shut down and unplug. This forces the BIOS to record that there are NO bootable devices anywhere.
2. Re-connect ONLY your SSD that contains Windows. Boot directly into BIOS Setup again. This time tell it to boot from the SSD, then SAVE and EXIT. This time it should be able to boot from the SSD. To be quite sure, shut down then start up again and verify it works.
3. IF you disconnected any other storage devices at the first step, shut down, unplug, and re-connect them. Boot up and verify it's all working.

Solution