Cant get to BIOS is CPU damaged?

thetexasranger

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
Please if anyone can help with this I'd be much obliged.This morning my computer was working fine. However I just started up my PC and it cant even post bios anymore(using ASUS P5N-E Sli). Yesterday I wanted to check my bios and I hit Load Default setup by accident. Had to go back and set RAM timings manually. Everything seemed fine. But now nada. I went ahead and cleared the CMOS and it looked like it mightve worked when I was able to get to the BIOS ever so briefly before my system froze. So to reiterate it just hangs on the intial screen, I can hold/hit delete as long as I want....it wont let me get to the BIOS setup. The only other useful piece of information is that my processor gets hotter than I'd like even with the Xigmatek Riffle. It gets sometimes gets up to 60 C (per Core temp). (I think its possible that I need mounting brackets for the CPU cooler but thats for another day). Is my processor burned out? Below are system specs

Processor: Q9450 (not OCed). CPU Fan: Xigmatek Riffle. PSU: Sigma Shark 630 W. Mobo: Asus P5N-E Sli RAM: 8 GB (6400) OCZ Sli-Ready (not OCed was running at manufacturers specs 5-4-4-15 at about 2.1 V). Evga Geforce 8800 GT. OS: Vista 64. HDDs: Barracuda 7200.11 750 GB and Hitachi Deskstar 160 GB. Also I'm using 4 80 mm fans, 1 120 mm fan, and a Northbridge fan/heatsink.

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
I think u messed something up when you went into the bios. I would rest the bios and install new, by either removing the reset pin and pressing the reset button on the motherboard or simply unplugging the power cord from ur psu and removing the motherboard battery. I hope this helps.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Today is the day to get the Xigmatek bracket, then remount the HSF with a good paste, AS5 is a group fav. make sure everything is properly connected and give it another go.

thetexasranger

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
I assumed clearing the CMOS would clear the BIOS is that not correct? Even then I did unplug the cord from the PSU and removed the battery. Also what kind of brackets are recommended? Thanks for your help so far.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Looks like 2 things.

1) Over heated CPU
2) Reset on the Bios with 8GB ram that need 2.1v, and a good chance that the memory voltage is 1.8v.

Reseat HSF, and try 1 stick of ram to get your memory voltage and timings back to what it was.