[SOLVED] Can't get to BIOS, it gets stuck, PC works

JankoPosvacal

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
Hello guys, I have built my computer about a week ago and it has been working flawlessly, no issues whatsoever. Only now after a week, I decided to try and enable XMP for my RAM to see if I would get performance increase. So, I restarted my PC and spammed delete key, I suppose BIOS does launch but I get this and once I press ok or try to close it out, it just gets stuck and doesn't proceed, tried waiting for a few minutes. I tried looking around but didn't find much info besides flashing the BIOS, which I have never done and didn't want to go through with until I'd get some opinions on it, or replacing the CMOS battery which I can't currently do. Any ideas what could be causing it and how to resolve it? Thank you!

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1060 6GB
Gigabyte B450M S2H
ADATA XPG Spectrix D41 8GB 3000mhz
Samsung 860 EVO
Seasonic SS600

Solution
A similar issue drove me crazy trying to access the bios on a laptop.

There is a complicated procedure I recall it involved going to the startup repair options in the screen above.
It turned out that there was a much simpler process.
If you hold down the shift key while pressing the shutdown button you will get a full shutdown.
When you next power on, repeatedly press DEL and F2 whichever(or both) gets you into the bios.

Lutfij

Titan
Which BIOS version are you currently on? You can use CPU-Z to show you what BIOS your'e on if you're unable to get into BIOS. Also, how old is that PSU? It's the Seasonic SS-600ET, correct?

Which slot is the single stick of DDR4 ram populating? I'm assuming single stick since most system's are a single 8GB stick, not 2x4GB sticks.

If you've managed to get the OS installed, you can get into BIOS by holding down the shift key and clicking on the restart button in Start. Hold down the key until the reboot circles disappear and you should be met with this:
Troubleshoot>Advanced options>UEFI Firmware Settings.
windows-10-uefi-firmware-settings.jpg

^ Courtesy of this article.

JankoPosvacal

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
Here is a screenshot of the Mainboard tab in CPU-Z.

I don't know how old the PSU is exactly but it is most likely 6-7 years old minimum, also not sure about the version, I got it in a pre-built PC I bought way back in 2014, a friend of mine said that it's a decent PSU. Also, I have never used any overclocked hardware with it, not sure if it helps but it was a part of two older builds running an i3-3220 + R9 270x, and also an i5-2500k (stock) + GTX 760 (+ some other GPUs but none were more powerful than the 760).

Yes, it is a single stick, the Motherboard only has two slots and the RAM is in the slot further away from the CPU to the right.

JankoPosvacal

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
Which BIOS version are you currently on? You can use CPU-Z to show you what BIOS your'e on if you're unable to get into BIOS. Also, how old is that PSU? It's the Seasonic SS-600ET, correct?

Which slot is the single stick of DDR4 ram populating? I'm assuming single stick since most system's are a single 8GB stick, not 2x4GB sticks.

If you've managed to get the OS installed, you can get into BIOS by holding down the shift key and clicking on the restart button in Start. Hold down the key until the reboot circles disappear and you should be met with this:
Troubleshoot>Advanced options>UEFI Firmware Settings.
windows-10-uefi-firmware-settings.jpg

^ Courtesy of this article.
Tried booting to BIOS using the method you suggested but the results are the same.

A similar issue drove me crazy trying to access the bios on a laptop.

There is a complicated procedure I recall it involved going to the startup repair options in the screen above.
It turned out that there was a much simpler process.
If you hold down the shift key while pressing the shutdown button you will get a full shutdown.
When you next power on, repeatedly press DEL and F2 whichever(or both) gets you into the bios.

Solution