Question Can't get to BIOS screen after a CPU upgrade

May 13, 2023
Decided to upgrade from Ryzen 3 1200 to Ryzen 5 5500. Motherboard is ASRock B450M PRO4.
Not sure with which motherboard drivers I started, but it ran fine for R3 1200. Updated them with instant flash, using r3 1200, to 5.70, latest, the one meant to support 5500 as well.

After updating to 5.70, the system went into a boot loop. Nothing displaying on the monitor at all. I thought it was because the old CPU wasn't supported anymore, so I swapped it in for the R5 5500. But that didnt' solve the problem.

I continued to:
-try different ram sticks
-try different/single ram slots
-boot with only CPU and MOBO, all disks disconnected
-with and without connected heatsink, in case there's a temp sensor
Tried all of this with both CPUs.

When trying to reset the BIOS, with battery removal for more than 5min and discharging the capacitors and the jumpers method, nothing changed. After resetting it, in theory, it should boot normally with R3 1200.
I even replaced the motherboard battery.

I'm out of ideas what to try next. The entire system is now one big boot loop, only because I updated the drivers...?

I appreciate any help whatsoever. Thank you

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When tying to clear the CMOS, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the battery from the motherboard, then press and hold down the power button on the case, then replace the battery after 30 mins. Use slot A2 with one stick of ram and then try working with the older processor.

Out of curiosity, what BIOS version were you on prior to the BIOS update?

May 13, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When tying to clear the CMOS, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the battery from the motherboard, then press and hold down the power button on the case, then replace the battery after 30 mins. Use slot A2 with one stick of ram and then try working with the older processor.

Out of curiosity, what BIOS version were you on prior to the BIOS update?
Thanks!

That's exactly what I did. Unplugged it from everything, had it on it's side on the table, removed the GPU to access the battery, removed the battery, held the power button for ~10 seconds, waited for over 30 minutes, tried to boot with only A2 ram and old processor.
It still went into a boot loop.

I'm unsure, since it's been that long since updating it, but I'm fairly certain that it was below 2.00. Current is 5.70.