Can't get Win XP installed

Je

I have a Gateway 500S machine that I am trying to get the OS installed and
it gets to the part where it is "Installing Devices" and it stops right
there and the pc locks up. I have tried keyboard, mouse and a different
hard drive and removed the DVD rom. Am I going in the right direction or is
there something I might be missing?

As always, help is appreciated.

--
Email no good, reply to group

You may want to make sure you've disconnected all USB devices - and if you
have a sound card, try removing it before you attempt the installation
again.

"JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway 500S machine that I am trying to get the OS installed and
>it gets to the part where it is "Installing Devices" and it stops right
>there and the pc locks up. I have tried keyboard, mouse and a different
>hard drive and removed the DVD rom. Am I going in the right direction or
>is there something I might be missing?
>
> As always, help is appreciated.
>
> --
> Email no good, reply to group

Je

Thanks Ed. I figured that cards ie: sound and graphics might be the best
place to start.

Jack

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> You may want to make sure you've disconnected all USB devices - and if you
> have a sound card, try removing it before you attempt the installation
> again.
>

> "JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Gateway 500S machine that I am trying to get the OS installed and
>>it gets to the part where it is "Installing Devices" and it stops right
>>there and the pc locks up. I have tried keyboard, mouse and a different
>>hard drive and removed the DVD rom. Am I going in the right direction or
>>is there something I might be missing?
>>
>> As always, help is appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Email no good, reply to group

Try cleaning the installation disc that you are using -- if the removal of
hardware hasn't already fixed it...
JS