[SOLVED] Cant hit 144fps in pubg with relatively powerfull hardware

Oct 18, 2019
I am using ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 2 GL704GW with following specs and still cant hit 144+ FPS in all "modern" games (Modern warfare 2019, PUBG)

90W i7 8750H
Overclocked 115W RTX 2070 to 1950mhz core clock (its not max Q, its full fat 115W mobile GPU)
16gb DDR4 2666mhz dual channel ram memory
512gb intel's SSD
1TB segate baracuda HDD

All components are not regulated in terms of TDP etc... All temperatures are super stable because i repasted full system with Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut (CPU max 88 celsius GPU max 75)

I tryed literally all graphic settings and still cant hit 144fps, is there any other way how to hit those 144fps cuz i am rly addicted to 144HZ ips panel and want to use all those HZ

Also the BIG PROBLEM is that for example in Rainbow Six Seige on full LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH/ULTRA i have almost exactly the SAME fps LIKE WTFFFFF
How the <Mod Edit> i can have in Rainbow 6 130fps on low as well on ultra settings? what is wrong with my laptop?

Please dont write things like "sell laptop and buy pc" etc...

If anyone has an answer how to hit those 144+fps in PUBG and Modern Warfare 2019 please tell me i am literally desperate :( ;(

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
A bad Overclock can cause worse performance in games. But It sounds like something in Nvidia Control Panel, either power mode, or gpu selection, something like that. Out of curiosity, are you running all these game in native res? try scaling it down a bit. This card should eat games at 720p or 900p and give you a stable 144+FPS, on mid-high settings for most games, and a frame limiter closer to your refresh rate and target FPS can sometimes help keep those 1% lows alot higher letting the card keep up better (if you're seeing FPS spikes to say, 300, then drops to 90 this may help); you can find one in nvidia's control panel as well. Make sure to reset your clocks, and start fresh. Turn off MSAA, and other rendering features you don't...
Oct 18, 2019
What resolution are you running?

What are the cpu and gpu temperatures and clock speeds (GHz/MHz) when in game?

Also do you see any cpu cores at 100% (total cpu usage is meaningless, need to look at each core) usage or gpu usage at 100%?

I am runing for example PUBG at 1920x1080, 144hz, screen scale at 120 (resolution upscaling) thats around 2200x1400 for example idk bcs everything looks much sharper at distance...

Gpu core is mostly runing around 1800-1900mhz with temps never above 75-77 and CPU is runing all the time at 3914mhz and never losing clock speed because cooling is extremly good for a laptop... Cpu almost never hits 89-90 celsius...

When it comes to cpu/gpu usage for example in pubg CPU usage is 35% and gpu 47% but for example in rainbow six siege on ULTRA CPU usage is on 65-75% and GPU up to 80-85%

I am runing for example PUBG at 1920x1080, 144hz, screen scale at 120 (resolution upscaling) thats around 2200x1400 for example idk bcs everything looks much sharper at distance...

Gpu core is mostly runing around 1800-1900mhz with temps never above 75-77 and CPU is runing all the time at 3914mhz and never losing clock speed because cooling is extremly good for a laptop... Cpu almost never hits 89-90 celsius...

When it comes to cpu/gpu usage for example in pubg CPU usage is 35% and gpu 47% but for example in rainbow six siege on ULTRA CPU usage is on 65-75% and GPU up to 80-85%
That all sounds good, just when measuring cpu usage do any individual cores hit 100% even if total cpu is lower? It’s clear the gpu is not being fully utilised.

Oct 18, 2019
That all sounds good, just when measuring cpu usage do any individual cores hit 100% even if total cpu is lower? It’s clear the gpu is not being fully utilised.

PUBG - i am using HW monitor for checking all those parameters. GPU utilization max was 92% (only for a second its never standing all the time on 92% its usually around 50% and CPU cores all runned at 3914mhz and all cores were on around 60-70% usage only 2 of them went up to 85% and 84%

Oct 18, 2019
But my question is.. is it possible to FORCE both gpu and cpu to run and use full available power that they have (100% usage)? bcs i am sure that i can hit those 144+fps but dk how...

But my question is.. is it possible to FORCE both gpu and cpu to run and use full available power that they have (100% usage)? bcs i am sure that i can hit those 144+fps but dk how...
You can’t really force it. A games FPS is dictated by whatever is the limiting factor. Now usually that’s the cpu or gpu but it can be other things and it does not look to be cpu or gpu based on what you have said. You have dual channel reasonable speed RAM so it’s unlikely that. You don’t have a cpu core stuck at 100% which could have indicated some other program/nasty hogging cpu resources.

However R6 running at the same fps on low to ultra settings is what you would expect with a cpu bottleneck or cpu resources issue.

My next thought is a driver problem. I’d use DDU to completely remove all traces of the gpu driver and then install the latest gpu driver. If it’s not that I’m running low on ideas.

Feb 19, 2020
The 8750H is 45W not 90W Source: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

DDR4-2666 is slower than the DDR2 ECC memory in my plex server.

You're bottlenecking that 2070.

You shouldn't be getting 144FPS on max settings for sure, maybe mid-high.

Almost never hits 90C rofl, it should NEVER hit 90C with a TJUNC of 100°C

Have you bothered to set the Nvidia Control Panel options?

It sounds like you are giving the 115W mobile gpu far too much credit, expecting 144FPS, the benchmarks just prove it won't do it even at 720P in most games. That's why we play on desktop hardware. It's bigger for a reason. a mobile 2070 is basically a neutered 1650 with more ram. Mobile stuff is all marketing. Keep your expectations realistic ;)
Source:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YLNXAgmwY

The 8750H is 45W not 90W Source: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

It sounds like you are giving the 115W mobile gpu far too much credit, expecting 144FPS, the benchmarks just prove it won't do it even at 720P in most games. That's why we play on desktop hardware. It's bigger for a reason. a mobile 2070 is basically a neutered 1650 with more ram. Mobile stuff is all marketing. Keep your expectations realistic ;)
Source:
Apart from your RAM comment which I am not sure about that seems like a generic answer not taking into account the information provided. The information provided does not indicate thermal throttling and neither a cpu bottleneck. I’ve got a laptop with an RTX2060 and i7 9750H and it’s normal for my cpu to be >90c in games and typical of gaming laptops. While you do need to manage expectations with laptops there does seem to be something odd or at least the limiting factor is not immediately obvious. Maybe it is the RAM, I can’t actually remember what speed my laptop RAM is, will look later.

Don't use resolution upscaling.

Feb 19, 2020
Yes the ram comment was clearly satire. And I even posted a benchmark showing that GPU will only drive 40ish FPS on average in modern titles. I apologize I thought it was a 2070, a 2060 makes this even worse, but it is indeed a mobile 2070, the 115W version no less according to the OP, being expected to OUTPERFORM a desktop variant on twice the power draw. riiiiight. GOOD LUCK!

To be clear:
A Mobile RTX 2070 and a desktop 2070 are not the same, and you shouldn't expect a mobile gpu to perform like a desktop part. In the mobile world, a 2070 is just a badge, it isn't even the same chip. lol. Look at the hardware; you'll see that it is performing exactly as it should. OPs expectations are simply too high for current mobile hardware.

I am using ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 2 GL704GW with following specs and still cant hit 144+ FPS in all "modern" games (Modern warfare 2019, PUBG)

90W i7 8750H
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html
Your CPU has a base clock of 2.2 that is in effect when all cores are loaded and a max of 4.1 which you can only get with one core and even then only maybe because usually laptops limit the CPUs power a lot no matter what you choose in the bios.
Even 4.1 is not enough to get 144FPS all the time.

Run CPU-z and run the games in windowed mode so you can see and tell us how high the clocks reach while you play.

Oct 18, 2019

Source:

Yeah, my mistake CPU that i have is not 90 its 45W...
But the thing is that i am not runing mobile 115W RTX 2070, i overclocked it to the sky and back literally, sometimes i am reaching clocks almost at 2ghz, yeah 2ghz... thats far more then stock speeds, also thermals are insanly good in this laptop so i am not caring that much on overheating. Also, cpu temps never exceeds temps of 90 and gpu not more then 75-80 celsius.
The guy that said that 90 for this cpu IS OMG HOT OMG has no clue what acer's predator and lenovo's legion series have temps problems with i7 8750H, in some cases its hitting 100 celsius... in my case - NEVER
also, during gaming my CPU is 24/7 at 3.9ghz never dropping cuz thermals are good as i said...

ALSO, the diffirnece between DESKTOP STOCK RTX 2070 and mine 115W RTX 2070 mobile OC-ed are not that big belive it or not....

So thats why i am asking u all for the help :)

Oct 18, 2019
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html
Your CPU has a base clock of 2.2 that is in effect when all cores are loaded and a max of 4.1 which you can only get with one core and even then only maybe because usually laptops limit the CPUs power a lot no matter what you choose in the bios.
Even 4.1 is not enough to get 144FPS all the time.

Run CPU-z and run the games in windowed mode so you can see and tell us how high the clocks reach while you play.

This is one case in PUBG
CPU TEMP 85 celsius 3914mhz clock speed
GPU TEMP 80 CELSIUS, 1890 mhz core (damn high for mobile edition gpu)

LINK FOR PIC

https://ibb.co/nwkf3Vn

Feb 19, 2020
A bad Overclock can cause worse performance in games. But It sounds like something in Nvidia Control Panel, either power mode, or gpu selection, something like that. Out of curiosity, are you running all these game in native res? try scaling it down a bit. This card should eat games at 720p or 900p and give you a stable 144+FPS, on mid-high settings for most games, and a frame limiter closer to your refresh rate and target FPS can sometimes help keep those 1% lows alot higher letting the card keep up better (if you're seeing FPS spikes to say, 300, then drops to 90 this may help); you can find one in nvidia's control panel as well. Make sure to reset your clocks, and start fresh. Turn off MSAA, and other rendering features you don't need in the games that are a bit under par. If it's performing the same no matter what you tweak in games. Make sure you have all the drivers and jazz from the manufacturer, make sure to setup your windows power profile, and nvidia control panel options accordingly (laptops like to use the iGPU instead of the dedicated card (you could disable it, but you're hit if you pop your GPU), this is noteowrthy because I wouldn't be surprised if the iGPU would run R6 at the same FPS on both high and low, iGPU's are weird, and you do have a beefy chip. Disable windows gamebar, it is known for causing these types of issues. And try running the games in both windowed mode, and fullscreen, and use something like RIvaTuner to monitor statistics, or use OCCT to verify any overclocks. Also use VULKAN in the games that support it, like R6:S often you'll find they run better, sometimes not; either way, it's worth a shot. ;) Once you are sure it's good to go, then try to push the card a bit (at your risk) if you want to bring the fps up a tad more. Also, if you're using RTX, disabling it can help your fps in games due to the card generating less heat when RTX cores are sleeping.

I hope some of these tips help you reach your target FPS, It should achievable in most games on your hardware.

Solution
Oct 18, 2019
A bad Overclock can cause worse performance in games. But It sounds like something in Nvidia Control Panel, either power mode, or gpu selection, something like that. Out of curiosity, are you running all these game in native res? try scaling it down a bit. This card should eat games at 720p or 900p and give you a stable 144+FPS, on mid-high settings for most games, and a frame limiter closer to your refresh rate and target FPS can sometimes help keep those 1% lows alot higher letting the card keep up better (if you're seeing FPS spikes to say, 300, then drops to 90 this may help); you can find one in nvidia's control panel as well. Make sure to reset your clocks, and start fresh. Turn off MSAA, and other rendering features you don't need in the games that are a bit under par. If it's performing the same no matter what you tweak in games. Make sure you have all the drivers and jazz from the manufacturer, make sure to setup your windows power profile, and nvidia control panel options accordingly (laptops like to use the iGPU instead of the dedicated card (you could disable it, but you're hit if you pop your GPU), this is noteowrthy because I wouldn't be surprised if the iGPU would run R6 at the same FPS on both high and low, iGPU's are weird, and you do have a beefy chip. Disable windows gamebar, it is known for causing these types of issues. And try running the games in both windowed mode, and fullscreen, and use something like RIvaTuner to monitor statistics, or use OCCT to verify any overclocks. Also use VULKAN in the games that support it, like R6:S often you'll find they run better, sometimes not; either way, it's worth a shot. ;) Once you are sure it's good to go, then try to push the card a bit (at your risk) if you want to bring the fps up a tad more. Also, if you're using RTX, disabling it can help your fps in games due to the card generating less heat when RTX cores are sleeping.

I hope some of these tips help you reach your target FPS, It should achievable in most games on your hardware.

Well, first of all thank you soooo much for giving me all those infos...
I dont have a lot of knowledge but i know some things about components tweakings etc.. but this one that overclock can decrease performance had no clue...

I used ASUS GPU TWEAK 2 and cranked up the core clock by +180mhz
memory clock i tryed to OC by 50-300 mhz but didnt see any improvments, do you think that I OC-ed my gpu a bit to much?

Also, how i can check if i am having worse performence then i had due to to much overclocking?

Now answer time

1. I dont feel good about lowering res below 1080p... I know it wiill help a lot but the thing is that my eyes are damages and i should wear glasses but i am not and blurry eyes + blurry image = cant see anyone xd (i am stupid cuz i dont care about my health yeah :/ )
  2. I didnt experience spikes... only freezes for example in CS GO but its cuz of the game not laptop... like 250 fps freeze 1 fps and then after 0.3 sec again 250 fps
3.To be honest, i never did anything in nvidia's control panel except the GPU power mode i set it up to "prefer maximum performance" and with that in combination i overclocked it by +180mhz on core and did "Force constant voltage so its pritty much all the time in high clocks during gameplay (i know not the smartest chip but thermals are kinda okay so yeah...)
  1. For iGPU in nvidia's control panel its set to auto choose according what is needed to do for example youtube etc IGPU and RTX is then in "power saving mode" or gaming its enabled ..
  2. Yeah i have that option but i never runned it to be honest, i'll definitely try it today, thanks for that tip man
6.I used Real time ray tracing only 5 times in my life in the modern warfare 2019 singleplayer xd.... Its damn beautiful but i am the person that will rather play on bad graphics (for example medium but 144+fps instead of all settings ultra + RTX ON+ 80FPS MAX... Dont care how games look like, only care about fps because this 144hz monitor is something that changed my gaming experience totally (never going back to 60 no matter what)

QUESTIONS

1. Do you think that i overclocked my GPU to much (by +180mhz on core and 0 on memory)?