[SOLVED] Can't identify Chipset in Device Manager

CableWaves

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
I've got a Dell XPS8700 from 2013 and have had issues with a new GPU and the final attempt to resolve the issue is to identify if the chipset is up-to-date. However, I cannot locate an entry in Device Manager with the word "Chipset" to identify if it is up-to-date.

The only thing I can locate that might be the Chipset is something listed as: "Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series SMBus Controller - 8C22".

The Dell driver page for my PC lists the most recent chipset version as 10.1.1.7. The driver listed for this SMBus Controller is 10.1.1.38.

Wondering if anyone knows if the "Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series SMBus Controller - 8C22" is the chipset? I cannot seem to locate a post on Dell to clarify or not, and I can't seem to locate any other method to identify the chipset.

I tired the Dell driver utility and it scanned and said everything is up to date. I also tried the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and this also states no updates required. However, although it lists the BIOS, it doesn't list the chipset at all, so am wondering if these utilities actually check on the chipset.

System
  • Dell XPS8700 (bought 2013)
  • Windows 10 (64-bit OS) - fully updated.
  • Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz
  • 12GB RAM DDR3
  • Dell 0KWVT8 Motherboard (BIOS A14)
  • 2 TB HDD
  • 1 TB SSD
  • 32GB mSATA SSD
  • Corsair TX650M - 650W

Solution
However, I cannot locate an entry in Device Manager with the word "Chipset" to identify if it is up-to-date.
Install Intel driver support assistant. If there are any Intel drivers, that need updating, the assistant will tell you and give link to apropriate drivers.
However, I cannot locate an entry in Device Manager with the word "Chipset" to identify if it is up-to-date.
Install Intel driver support assistant. If there are any Intel drivers, that need updating, the assistant will tell you and give link to apropriate drivers.

Solution

CableWaves

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
Cheers, yeah I tried the Intel DSA and it says nothing needs to be updated.

I'm trying to think of why the chipset isn't listed in the device manager.

EDIT: OK maybe I've found it. From another website that lists details for my motherboard it suggests that the chipset is Z87. My device manager lists "Z87 LPC Controller - 8C44". Would this be the chipset? Image of this is here.

If this is the chipset, it states the driver version is 10.1.1.38. However, the Dell website says the most up-to-date driver for this motherboard is 10.1.1.7.

Would this suggest the chipset needs to be updated?

Last edited:

CableWaves

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
Ah OK, sorry I obviously misread some posts I Googled where they were saying you can identify the chipset from within device manager.

So basically, since I've run the Intel DSA and it suggested no updates it's fair to say then that my PC doesn't need that 10.1.1.7 chipset driver listed on Dell.

Does Windows download these updates itself? The most recent chipset form Dell is from February 2020 and I did not update the chipset at any time since owning this PC.