Question Can't initialise new M.2 SSD - Device not migrated

Chris361

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
I have recently purchased an M.2 PCIe SSD (linked below) to replace my secondary drive. I had no issues physically installing the drive on my motherboard however I have been unable to get it working.

Upon opening Disk Management, the 'Initialise Disk' window appears. The correct disk (Disk 2) and the GPT partition style are automatically selected. When I press OK I get an error message:

'The parameter is incorrect'​

If I scroll down to the details of the disks and their partitions are I can see that Disk 2 is there but labelled with 'Unknown' and 'Not initialised'. Unlike the other disks, the icon beside the disk number has a red circle with an arrow pointing down. In the General tab of the Properties menu the device status says 'This device is working properly'. The Events tab lists the following three events:

'Device not migrated'​
'Device configured (disk. inf)'​
'Device started (disk)'​
The problem seems to be 'Device not migrated'. A more detailed description says that the device 'was not migrated due to a partial or ambiguous match.'

What I have tried so far:
  • Restart the computer
  • Remove the SSD from the M.2 slot and put it back again
  • Check disk drivers are updated
  • Update Windows
  • Disable and enable the disk
  • Right click in disk management to try set it to online - this gives an error message, 'The device is not ready.'
  • Run system file checker to repair corrupt files
What else should I try?

Current system
Boot Drive - 240 GB Kingston SSD SATA 3
HDD - WD Blue 1 TB
Motherboard - MSI H170A PC Mate
CPU - Intel i5-6600K
GPU - AMD Radeon RX480 8 GB
RAM - 8 GB
Power Supply - Corsair CX550M 550 W
OS - Windows 10

Link to Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD
https://www.sabrent.com/product/SB-...gh-performance-solid-state-drive/#description

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
you should do a "clean"with the diskpart utility
https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/suppo...-a-drive-through-the-command-prompt-005929en/

make sure to select the correct disk or you may end up erasing another of your drives.

if it fails, try to install the rocket control panel software and check if it can recognize the ssd. i don't know the software but usually it can detect if firmware needs to be updated. if so you can do that too.

if it fails, i would check the documentation of the motherboard to check if the M2 port is not shared with another component of the motherboard. For exemple sometimes you can't use some PCIe ports or some sata ports if the M2 slot is populated and vice/versa

you can also go to the motherboard support webpage and downoald the latest chipset drivers

if it fails, i would try in another pc

if it fails, i would return / RMA it

Chris361

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Thanks for the response. I had already checked my motherboard manual to make sure there was no conflict. I actually had to move my original two drives to different SATA ports but I tested this before putting the M.2 drive in and it all worked fine.

Aside form trying a different PC (I don't have access to one) I tried your other suggestions but unfortunately nothing worked. I've contacted than manufacturer and will update here if they can give any solutions.

TRENDING THREADS