[SOLVED] Can't initialize external HDD ?

JohnyThePony

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
I have this 2TB external hdd, it worked fine, and then I tried to use on another pc with a different cable, which didn't work. I took it back to my pc and now it doesn't even show up in the explorer. It does appears in the disk manager, and the first thing it pops up when I open the disk manager is an initialization prompt, but when I try to initialize it, I get the "The request could not be performed because of an I/o device error". I used DiskGenius to try and rebuild the MBR but that didn't work either, it says "unknown error".
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Solution
I would try attaching it to your PC and then in a command prompt window use diskpart:
diskpart
list disk
then if it shows up in the list created by list disk continue with
select disk n (where n is the number of the target disk as shown in the list disk)
clean
exit

This will leave the drive uninitialized and blank. You can initialize and format in disk management.

RealBeast

Titan
I would try attaching it to your PC and then in a command prompt window use diskpart:
diskpart
list disk
then if it shows up in the list created by list disk continue with
select disk n (where n is the number of the target disk as shown in the list disk)
clean
exit

This will leave the drive uninitialized and blank. You can initialize and format in disk management.

Reactions: JohnyThePony
Solution

JohnyThePony

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
It actually showed the disk in in diskpart, and cleaned it no problem, but fails again when I try to initialize it. Prompts the same I/O error. Could it be a firmware issue??