[SOLVED] Can't insert a PNY 3080 XLR8 REVEL EPIC-X into an ROG Strix Z590-F Motherboard, SATA Ports block full insertion?

lewis1190

Commendable
Nov 12, 2020
Hi all,

I'm upgrading from a Palit GameRock 1070 to a PNY 3080 XLR8 REVEL EPIC-X . My motherboard is an ASUS ROG Strix Z590-F.
You can see pictures of both of these here:
GPU - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pny-...dr6x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-079-pn.html
MOBO - https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-f-gaming-wifi-model/

I tried to insert the GPU into my motherboard today, but it seems like the GPU won't go in properly and is blocked on something; potentially the SATA ports on the right side of the board. The gold teeth appear to go all of the way into the port, but the PCI-E latch does not click into place.

Thinking it could be something to do with me, I took the card out and tried to insert my 1070. Clicks in easily.
Tried again with the 3080, putting around 3-4x the force of what I did with the 1070. Nothing. I believe if I pushed the board any further, I would risk damage to the components, due to Mobo bend.

I've looked online, and the VAST majority of people seems to think it's a person problem rather than a hardware problem, but how is this possible when I can fit and detach my 1070 with ease?

They're pretty-much the exact same size, save for around 1cm in additional length on the 3080. BOTH cards cover the SATA ports on my motherboard (but the 1070 easily goes in).

Has anyone here had an issue like this before? Has anybody solved it?

I've put my rig back together now so I've got something for the night, but can provide additional pictures tomorrow.

Any help is much appreciated; thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
You are correct. Slot 2 is only wired for x4 despite the specification saying that the board has : "2 x PCIe 4.0/3.0 x16 slot(s)." So short of getting a different board that actually has 2 full x16 slots, you can only use slot 1.

And no, you are not an idiot! ;)

Hi! Thought I'd add some clarification and close-off this thread.

The Good:
  • The 3080 is in and running!
  • This time, I had the case led on it's side and tried to let gravity guide it in, and the card suddenly clicked when I was fastening the screws and inserting the power cables.
  • Initially, I was going to do a VERY stupid dice-roll, and secure it without the PCIE latch properly clicking (this is probably making a few readers cringe), so...

lewis1190

Commendable
Nov 12, 2020
Have you considered using the second x16 slot, which looks to be clear at the end?

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply.

I did consider that, but when I looked at the second PCI-E connection (the one in the middle), it doesn't look like there are as many gold connectors inside as the top one. You can see the lack of connectors in this image: https://www.cclonline.com/images/av...00&height=1600&scale=canvas&trim.threshold=80

Maybe I'm being an idiot, but the fact that they appeared different was enough to scare me off. You can see the configuration of the PCIE ports in this document, on page 12: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E17989_ROG_STRIX_Z590-F_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

This doesn't make a huge deal of sense to me, so I'm unsure if I can use my 3080 in the middle slot with no performance decrease.

RealBeast

Titan
You are correct. Slot 2 is only wired for x4 despite the specification saying that the board has : "2 x PCIe 4.0/3.0 x16 slot(s)." So short of getting a different board that actually has 2 full x16 slots, you can only use slot 1.

lewis1190

Commendable
Nov 12, 2020

Hi! Thought I'd add some clarification and close-off this thread.

The Good:
  • The 3080 is in and running!
  • This time, I had the case led on it's side and tried to let gravity guide it in, and the card suddenly clicked when I was fastening the screws and inserting the power cables.
  • Initially, I was going to do a VERY stupid dice-roll, and secure it without the PCIE latch properly clicking (this is probably making a few readers cringe), so it suddenly clicking in-place was a VERY welcome surprise.
The Bad:
  • My coolant temp on my H115i Elite Capellix 280mm has now increased by around 4C of it's average temperature when gaming.
    • When gaming before the new card (on my GTX 1070), it used to be no higher than 37C in December, UK weather.
    • Now, it just about hits 40-41C. The last time the coolant temp was this hot was when running the PC with a light load in the UK 2022 heatwave. This makes the default curve on the Elite Capellix sound VERY loud (>2000RPM). I dread to think how this PC will run if we get similar weather next year.
    • Taking the side panel off of my InWin 509 results in a huge cooling benefit, coolant temp doesn't go over 35-36C with the new card in. Obviously, not ideal.
Not sure how I can improve my temps in my current case; the weird caveats of the InWin 509 mean that it's more realistic to have my REAR fan as an INTAKE, as I need to side-mount my radiator (can't do top-mount), and try to blow air through the case in reverse. Obviously, this isn't good enough.

I can provide real pictures (airflow diagram can be accessed here: https://app.vectary.com/p/1CIREHR4LBV2iBGKaO9Otc ), but it's probably for another thread. As far as the original issue goes, the card is in and running, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Thanks for the help RealBeast!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS