[SOLVED] Can't install 10 from 7

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
I have decided to install 10 on my 7 operated system. Yes, after all these years. I know.

I have downloaded the tool from the MS site, let it do its thing, and was looking good. It begun installing win 10. As the installation takes a long time, I was doing other things and occasionally dropped by to see how its progressing. All of this took less than 2 hours.
When I returned, my computer was restarting and then I see that it's undoing the steps and Win 7 started up. Once in, I see this error message:
Couldn't install Windows 10

0xC1900101 - 0x4000D

Installation failed in the Second_Boot phase, error during Migrate_Data operation.

I've looked it up and apparently it's a rare one for this to happen. I followed all the suggestions I could find from the official MS site, to various tech sites. All of them suggested to check for corrupted files. Done that. Nothing is wrong.
Uninstall your anti virus software. Done that.
Install the latest updates for Win 7. Done that.
Check if anything is running in the background. Done that.

Good, I try again from the tool. Things were looking good until it reached the updating part. At 46% it simply does not continue. After 3 hours it's still stuck at 46%, even when that circle spins. I was forced to call up the task manager as it simply did not close and then it tells me that it does not respond. Forced to close it.
OK, I took a break and decided to try the following day. Same problem. It simply got stuck at 46%. Again for many hours.
The next step was to use a USB stick and install it from there. At least there it gave me the option if I want to install the updates or not. First, I decided it should but again, it stopped at 46%.
Then without the updates. Great, it went straight to the installation. In less than a minute, it reached 4%. After 2 hours it was still at 4%. Try to cancel it but it continued to stay in that mode that I was forced to bring up the task manager. Just so that it can tell me that it's not responding and was forced to close it.

When I check in the Windows Update,it tells me that it failed to install Win 10 and gives me the option to try again. Clicked on it, it searches for updates. Hours pass and still updating. Even when it reached the time when it should install the updates.

I'm at an end. I have no idea why it refuses to install 10. What is wrong here? Why after the updates of 7 it just gets stuck at 46%, without fail. I spend solid 20 hours trying to get Win 10 on my computer.

If it matters, this is my system:
i7 4790
R9 290x
16gb RAM
WIN 7 64bit
Asrock Z97

Solution
D
upgrades are never a good idea. clean install win10 and be done with it. back up your docs and data first.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sounds like there is a conflict with one of the programs installed that just won't allow the update to continue. At this point, I'd probably make a backup of your data and just do a clean install of Windows 10. Then reinstall of your programs and data.

Otherwise, you would probably need to note each of the programs that are installed on your system and then use Google to find out if any have had issues with transitions to Windows 10. If you find any, uninstall them and try to update again.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: brokeBuilder2019

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Sounds like there is a conflict with one of the programs installed that just won't allow the update to continue. At this point, I'd probably make a backup of your data and just do a clean install of Windows 10. Then reinstall of your programs and data.

Otherwise, you would probably need to note each of the programs that are installed on your system and then use Google to find out if any have had issues with transitions to Windows 10. If you find any, uninstall them and try to update again.

-Wolf sends
I have done the latter and nothing that runs has problems with Win 10s installation. In fact, there are only a few that run in the background, but these need to be active. It's just weird that at first there were no issues with the update, then after I have updated win 7, it's stuck at 46%.
I guess I have to do a clean installation. Not very fond of it to be honest but maybe that is the only choice I have.

When the bi-anual updates first started rolling, had a conflict with one of my kids games, and another update had an issue with the Asus fan control software, so it's hard to tell what the conflict would be, as Windows does a terrible job of coming out and telling you what it is.

My suggestion, if you are up for it, is to post the list of you installed programs here, and we can help you look for conflicts. If you aren't up for that, and that is totally fine, do the clean install as Wolf suggested.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
When the bi-anual updates first started rolling, had a conflict with one of my kids games, and another update had an issue with the Asus fan control software, so it's hard to tell what the conflict would be, as Windows does a terrible job of coming out and telling you what it is.

My suggestion, if you are up for it, is to post the list of you installed programs here, and we can help you look for conflicts. If you aren't up for that, and that is totally fine, do the clean install as Wolf suggested.

As you may have noticed, my hardware is for gaming. So you can guess that there are plenty of games in my hard drive.

Check health of your storage drive. Use HDtune health.
If your drive has developed pending sectors, this may prevent windows upgrade.

I got the trial version of pro and did an error scan. Everything is in green. No damages.
However, in the Health section, one part titled: C7 interface CRC error count, it has one error. Under status, it says: There were communication errors. This may be caused by damaged cable.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Can you show screenshot of health section?
Sorry, like to but I fail to see how to do it. Every forum has a different way on doing it.
but that is the only section that is marked blue that appears to be faulty. Otherwise health status is OK.

At the moment I have no time to install Win, but I found a much later version of Mediacreationtool. Before i had Medicreationtool1903, I found the latest version from May this year that is 1909. Not sure if this would make any difference. Next week I would have the chance.

Health looks fine - no relocated or pending sectors.
CRC error could indicate bad sata cable or overheating of drive or storage controller.

Most likely some installed software is interfering with upgrade process.

Anyway - you should get SSD for your system. Then try clean install.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Health looks fine - no relocated or pending sectors.
CRC error could indicate bad sata cable or overheating of drive or storage controller.

Most likely some installed software is interfering with upgrade process.

Anyway - you should get SSD for your system. Then try clean install.
I guess I have no other option. I hope this will solve this issue. Thanks for the help.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
crc error generally shows if the sata cable is not properly plugged in the hdd/ssd or due to movement has become loose or simply the sata cable is bad; the number shows how many times it has happened...
Cable is only a few years old and its solid plugged in. I will see if a clean installation will do the trick.

Cable is only a few years old and its solid plugged in. I will see if a clean installation will do the trick.
this crc error doesn't indicate that it has happened now, it may have happened way before or during initial setup, so dont worry about it, if u wish u can change the sata cable and check; but ur hdd is totally fine;

IMO the windows 10 upgrade error from windows 7 maybe caused by drivers installed; (as some may not be compatible with windows 10).

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
this crc error doesn't indicate that it has happened now, it may have happened way before or during initial setup, so dont worry about it, if u wish u can change the sata cable and check; but ur hdd is totally fine;

IMO the windows 10 upgrade error from windows 7 maybe caused by drivers installed; (as some may not be compatible with windows 10).
If I only knew which ones. Wish it would state it clearly instead of wasting hours just to get stuck during the installation. Or during the updating.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
No. Avoid those.
Get SSD. Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 evo. 2.5" sata ssds are supported for sure.
M.2 models might be compatible, if your board has M.2 slot. But you have to check specs of your board. There are at least 20 different Asrock Z97 models.
When I look at the box, it states that it does have M.2 sockets.
The exact type is: Fatality Asrock Z97X Killer series.

Thanks. Will see where I can get the drives. But, don't they have to be 3.5" drives for my tower?

Yes Asrock Fatality Z97X Killer has M.2 slot.
Sata and nvme M.2 drives are supported. NVME drives will run at reduced speed though because only PCIE 2.0 x2 mode is supported on your board. Newest nvme drives run at PCIE 3.0 x4 mode.
M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3, supports M Key M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen2 x2 (10 Gb/s)

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
no idea about NVME, sorry to sound like an idiot but I'M not familiar with every term.

BTW, I have to ask this question since i have never done this but, if I put a new drive in my computer, how do I install win 10 on it, now that everything is digital? I haven't seen any CD of it or anything that has 10 to be installed onto a computer.

Well, today I gave it a try again to install 10 with everything, and things were looking very good. But once it reached 100% and restarted the computer, it was undoing the changes again. Once in windows, I got the same message before:
0xC1900101 - 0x4000D

Installation failed in the Second_Boot phase, error during Migrate_Data operation.

Well, was worth a shot.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Well, I finally got win 10 on my rig and here are the problems:
1. I cant connect to the internet. Every time I select my network and type in the password, I get a message stating: Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error infos and restart your computer.

This happens every time without fail. I can do pretty much everything else but accessing my network. Which means, it can't activate Windows. I use a WIFI stick as I have no chance on physically connecting my computer to the router. Windows does detect my network and so does the software that was included with the WIFI stick.
If its matters, It's from Netgear AC1200 WIFI USB Adapter
802.11 ac Dual Band, USB 3.0

2. It constantly access my DVD drive. I have no idea why but every 5 seconds my drive makes these noises when it tries to read a disc. And the drive is empty.

What is going on that it keeps crashing when I type in the password to my network?