[SOLVED] Can't install 10 from 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
I have decided to install 10 on my 7 operated system. Yes, after all these years. I know.

I have downloaded the tool from the MS site, let it do its thing, and was looking good. It begun installing win 10. As the installation takes a long time, I was doing other things and occasionally dropped by to see how its progressing. All of this took less than 2 hours.
When I returned, my computer was restarting and then I see that it's undoing the steps and Win 7 started up. Once in, I see this error message:
Couldn't install Windows 10

0xC1900101 - 0x4000D

Installation failed in the Second_Boot phase, error during Migrate_Data operation.

I've looked it up and apparently it's a rare one for this to happen. I followed all the suggestions I could find from the official MS site, to various tech sites. All of them suggested to check for corrupted files. Done that. Nothing is wrong.
Uninstall your anti virus software. Done that.
Install the latest updates for Win 7. Done that.
Check if anything is running in the background. Done that.

Good, I try again from the tool. Things were looking good until it reached the updating part. At 46% it simply does not continue. After 3 hours it's still stuck at 46%, even when that circle spins. I was forced to call up the task manager as it simply did not close and then it tells me that it does not respond. Forced to close it.
OK, I took a break and decided to try the following day. Same problem. It simply got stuck at 46%. Again for many hours.
The next step was to use a USB stick and install it from there. At least there it gave me the option if I want to install the updates or not. First, I decided it should but again, it stopped at 46%.
Then without the updates. Great, it went straight to the installation. In less than a minute, it reached 4%. After 2 hours it was still at 4%. Try to cancel it but it continued to stay in that mode that I was forced to bring up the task manager. Just so that it can tell me that it's not responding and was forced to close it.

When I check in the Windows Update,it tells me that it failed to install Win 10 and gives me the option to try again. Clicked on it, it searches for updates. Hours pass and still updating. Even when it reached the time when it should install the updates.

I'm at an end. I have no idea why it refuses to install 10. What is wrong here? Why after the updates of 7 it just gets stuck at 46%, without fail. I spend solid 20 hours trying to get Win 10 on my computer.

If it matters, this is my system:
i7 4790
R9 290x
16gb RAM
WIN 7 64bit
Asrock Z97

Solution
D
upgrades are never a good idea. clean install win10 and be done with it. back up your docs and data first.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Install chipset drivers then install lan and wifi drivers.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty Z97X Killer/#Download
at the moment i had enough and will try tomorrow. Good thing I have a laptop, otherwise I could not write this.
But isn't strange that it crashes with the provided software from the stick? I use the same software that I used for Win 7 and there it had no issues.

If it doesn't work, I have to switch back to 7.

edit:
I'm sorry but I have no idea which one is which.
INF driver ver:10.1.1.9

Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.0.0.1158

Intel Smart Connect driver ver:5.0.10.2907

and which one is the WIFI driver? I only see the Lan driver.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I have no idea which one is which.
INF driver ver:10.1.1.9
Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.0.0.1158
Intel Smart Connect driver ver:5.0.10.2907
and which one is the WIFI driver? I only see the Lan driver.
All of them.
Inf and Intel ME is for chipset.

Wifi driver is on Netgear support site.
https://www.netgear.com/support/download/?_ga=2.52221473.903969536.1574004442-27681706.1574004442

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Last edited:

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Go to event viewer and look under Windows logs. It's going to be hard to know what next steps to take unless we know what error it's giving you.
Go to event viewer and look under Windows logs. It's going to be hard to know what next steps to take unless we know what error it's giving you.
Too late. I had enough and switched back to win 7. Everything there works flawless and at least windows doesn't crash when it connects to the internet.
I have tried to find a solution to that problem but everything I could find was about startup, not from connecting to the net.

Nevertheless, I like to thank you all for helping me out. Win 10 had its chance but decided to be a jerk. I need my computer for work and can't accept anymore delays if it has issues to connect to the net.

Np. Just remember that extended support for Windows 7 ends in January 14, 2020, and Microsoft will no longer offer security updates after that point. I would suggest you try again by that time, or make plans for a newer system that is easier to install.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Np. Just remember that extended support for Windows 7 ends in January 14, 2020, and Microsoft will no longer offer security updates after that point. I would suggest you try again by that time, or make plans for a newer system that is easier to install.
Well, if 10 behaves like that every time I want to connect to the net, I will not be upgrading to it any time soon. Whatever this 'stop code' is, it's still strange why it only happens when I try to connect to the net. Window detects my network and so does the Netgear software, and yet Windows 10 crashes on me with the mentioned issue.

At the moment I can't afford a new computer but it will have Win 10 if the time comes. But as of now, games still run well on 7 and my rig can handle new games.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
if you are not willing to conduct testing then you have little hope of solving your issue.
Too late for it anyway. I need my computer for work and I can't effort any more delays just because 10 wants to be complicated. I had enough after spending hours upon hours trying to fix an issues no one seems to have but me.

D

Deleted member 14196

upgrades are never a good idea. clean install win10 and be done with it. back up your docs and data first.

Solution
the software for the netgear adapter can be problematic, install the standalone driver specific for windows 10 and then u have to go into services and disable RunswUSB as if u dont it keeps on switching from usb 2 to usb 3... after that everything works flawlessly and this solution also goes for Netgear A7000 wireless adapter...
But if u r on win 7 u need the RunswUSB enabled....

Last edited: